* Re: [9front] vmx(1) vs openbsd
       [not found] <1251C16DB5CD3CEFEE590AAFCE4C4543@ewsd.inri.net>
@ 2020-06-25  3:48 ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-06-25  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sl, 9front

> http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/hardware/thinkpad/x210/pre-1st-gen-1920x1200/sysinfo
>
> vmx -M 2G -n ether0 -d /dev/sdE1/data -v vesa:1280x800 /tmp/bsd.67 device=sd0a
>
> http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/vmx/img/20200624.vmx.openbsd67.png
>
> vmx(1) itself did not crash.  is there something maybe wonky with my machine's
> support for intel virtualization extensions?  i had no trouble booting openbsd
>  on my x250[0], but this is the first time i've tried to boot a local disk
> guest from a tls-booted host.
>
> sl
>
> [0] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/hardware/thinkpad/x250/20cm-cto1ww/sysinfo

xgetbv is an instruction that we probably don't emulate yet.
Seems to be somethign that OpenBSD calls as part of the
spectre-class attack mitigations. (Specifically, MDS).

We can probably work around it by lying around cpuid,
but it'd be better to fix it right. Not sure what that
means yet.

* Re: [9front] vmx(1) vs openbsd
@ 2020-06-25  6:55   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-06-25  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

can't you just disable spectre mitigations on bsd?

* Re: [9front] vmx(1) vs openbsd
@ 2020-06-26  1:55   ` sl
From: sl @ 2020-06-26  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/hardware/thinkpad/x210/pre-1st-gen-1920x1200/sysinfo
>>
>> vmx -M 2G -n ether0 -d /dev/sdE1/data -v vesa:1280x800 /tmp/bsd.67 device=sd0a
>>
>> http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/vmx/img/20200624.vmx.openbsd67.png
>>
>> vmx(1) itself did not crash.  is there something maybe wonky with my machine's
>> support for intel virtualization extensions?  i had no trouble booting openbsd
>>  on my x250[0], but this is the first time i've tried to boot a local disk
>> guest from a tls-booted host.
>>
>> sl
>>
>> [0] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/hardware/thinkpad/x250/20cm-cto1ww/sysinfo
>
> xgetbv is an instruction that we probably don't emulate yet.
> Seems to be somethign that OpenBSD calls as part of the
> spectre-class attack mitigations. (Specifically, MDS).
>
> We can probably work around it by lying around cpuid,
> but it'd be better to fix it right. Not sure what that
> means yet.

i believe the last time i booted this openbsd installation in vmx(1) it
was using a slightly older version of the 6.6 kernel. the current 6.6
kernel on the ftp sites (presumably patched?) fails the same way.

sl

* Re: [9front] vmx(1) vs openbsd
@ 2020-06-26  2:56     ` Ori Bernstein
From: Ori Bernstein @ 2020-06-26  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front; +Cc: hiro

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 08:55:59 +0200, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:

> can't you just disable spectre mitigations on bsd?

By editing the code and rebuilding the kernel.

--
    Ori Bernstein