From: tlaronde@polynum.com
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Installation problem on amd64 on secondary disk
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 11:21:44 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 12:03:46AM +0200, cinap_lenrek@felloff.net wrote:
> it sounds to me like your iso image is corrupted. dossrv and ns
> are both part of the iso. in fact ALL binaries are available
> on the iso filesystem (in the live system before installation),
> the installation merely helps with setting up a new fileserver
> like cwfs or hjfs and copies the contents of the iso filesystem
> over. there is no stuff that gets unpacked or is not otherwise
> accessible from the life system.
>
> please verify the sha1 sum of the iso you downloaded or use
> the torrent.
>
> cpu% sha1sum 9front-7781.38dcaeaa222c.amd64.iso.gz
> e58a3f7d67e3937593ae0bf8b8c0dc7ed47c7535	9front-7781.38dcaeaa222c.amd64.iso.gz
> cpu% gunzip < 9front-7781.38dcaeaa222c.amd64.iso.gz | sha1sum
> 255d250ae7801012847a4a9d58d67c7617250935

I have verified the downloaded file and it is OK.

> it could also be that there are problems with the cdrom media
> you have. you could try to dd the uncompressed iso image directly
> on a usb pen drive and boot from that.

I mounted the ISO under another OS and all the files and programs are
here.

I have restarted the installation with the same burnt CD. This time it succeeded.

The three differences between the installation attempts I know of:

1) The first time I had several Plan9 slices on two different disks. I
have now removed before trying the installation the slices (in the MBR, under another OS)
except on the one disk I wanted the install;

2) This time I did not switch the kbmap to azerty but kept the default
ascii until the end;

3) From a superficial look, copydist took more time during this last
attempt, so chances are that during the other attempts indeed not everything was copied.

(I don't think, though, that this information will be of great use to somebody...)

Now, at least, I can reproduce the failure of generating the fonts under
kerTeX with the very same message the user had (putc erroring because of
ENOENT).

Best regards,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/