From: Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] RFC: add a downloads.md page
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:40:33 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 07:34:20PM -0400, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> looked at hiro's downloads.md and reviewed the existing site. i'm not in love with duplicating all these disparate links to individual files that will change with every release.  we already put almost all of this stuff into each release announcement. why don't we just replace iso/ with downloads/ and make that load the latest release page, and cause werc to inject a header with the explanatory text? this accomplishes the same thing but only has to be written once. i agree, it should then be linked in the top bar. as far as i'm concerned we can drop the link to the dash1 pdf from the sidebar, reducing clutter alongside other superfluous links like coc/ and n/.

I like this plan, depending on what the explanatory text is explaining.
I don't think it should be a complete education on rendering the media
unto disk; it should be sufficient to mention that the isos are also
bootable usb images and the img files are for sd cards.

> it would also be appropriate to mention the hybrid iso in the corresponding fqa section, and add any other long omitted (four years!) and sorely lacking information, but i sense an underlying urge to segregate frequently questioned answers from the existing collection of frequently questioned answers. "this is natural, but it is done." --malcolm x. maybe someone can submit patches, or at least detail that and other missing info in an article for the new community docs repository. we already link to a mirror of that in the top bar.

This would be a great contribution; for those playing along at home the
fqa source is in https://code.9front.org/hg/fqa.9front.org and you can
send patches to this list.

khm