* [9front] How Do I Install 9Front?
@ 2021-01-06 18:06 Jay F. Shachter
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jay F. Shachter @ 2021-01-06 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Esteemed Colleagues:

I copied 9front-8013.d9e940a768d1.amd64.iso to a CD and successfully
booted from the CD.  I now see a terminal window with the prompt
"term% " and a window in the upper-left corner called "cirno(4)", I
don't know what that is.  I do not, however, see an installation icon.
How do I install 9force onto my disk so I can boot from it normally?
I have partitioned the disk with GPT and created a small slice tagged
EF00 and a larger slice tagged 3900.  Where is the installation
program?  I do see a /bin/inst directory but I do not see an obvious
installation program in it.  Thank you in advance for your reply.

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 North Whipple Street
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay@m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"

* Re: [9front] How Do I Install 9Front?
@ 2021-01-07  0:30 ` Kurt H Maier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-01-07  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 06:06:46PM +0000, Jay F. Shachter wrote:

> Esteemed Colleagues:
>
> I copied 9front-8013.d9e940a768d1.amd64.iso to a CD and successfully
> booted from the CD.  I now see a terminal window with the prompt
> "term% " and a window in the upper-left corner called "cirno(4)", I
> don't know what that is.  I do not, however, see an installation icon.
> How do I install 9force onto my disk so I can boot from it normally?
> I have partitioned the disk with GPT and created a small slice tagged
> EF00 and a larger slice tagged 3900.  Where is the installation
> program?  I do see a /bin/inst directory but I do not see an obvious
> installation program in it.  Thank you in advance for your reply.
>
>                         Jay F. Shachter
>                         6424 North Whipple Street
>                         Chicago IL  60645-4111
>                                 (1-773)7613784   landline
>                                 (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
>                                 jay@m5.chicago.il.us
>                                 http://m5.chicago.il.us
>
>                         "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"

Please consider reading the documentation.

khm

* Re: [9front] How Do I Install 9Front?
@ 2021-01-07  0:41 ` fulton
From: fulton @ 2021-01-07  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Try inst/start and check out the fqa install section here: http://fqa.9front.org/fqa4.html#4.1

- Fulton <fulton@fulton.software>

* Re: [9front] How Do I Install 9Front?
@ 2021-01-07  0:46 ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2021-01-07  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I do see a /bin/inst directory but...

inst/start. see also: http://fqa.9front.org/fqa4.html

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] How Do I Install 9Front?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-01-07  0:51 ` Jared Henley
From: Jared Henley @ 2021-01-07  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

This is the documentation you're looking for:
http://fqa.9front.org/fqa4.html#4.1

In particular, the install program is invoked with inst/start.

Jared.

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 18:06:46 +0000 (WET)
"Jay F. Shachter" <jay@m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:

> Esteemed Colleagues:
>
> I copied 9front-8013.d9e940a768d1.amd64.iso to a CD and successfully
> booted from the CD.  I now see a terminal window with the prompt
> "term% " and a window in the upper-left corner called "cirno(4)", I
> don't know what that is.  I do not, however, see an installation icon.
> How do I install 9force onto my disk so I can boot from it normally?
> I have partitioned the disk with GPT and created a small slice tagged
> EF00 and a larger slice tagged 3900.  Where is the installation
> program?  I do see a /bin/inst directory but I do not see an obvious
> installation program in it.  Thank you in advance for your reply.
>
>                         Jay F. Shachter
>                         6424 North Whipple Street
>                         Chicago IL  60645-4111
>                                 (1-773)7613784   landline
>                                 (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
>                                 jay@m5.chicago.il.us
>                                 http://m5.chicago.il.us
>
>                         "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"

💬

Stop telling me how to use my computer.
I will configure it how I want,
get updates when I want,