* [9front] Used to boot to rio, doesn't anymore
@ 2022-08-26  8:23 wakyct
From: wakyct @ 2022-08-26  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello, sorry for the vague subject, but after many hours of searching on this issue
I would very much appreciate some advice.

My week-old install used to boot to rio, but when I started it tonight, it hangs after
`ipconfig: no success with DHCP`; previously, it would boot to rio shortly after this
message (usually the laptop is not online). I can Del to a console.

When I first booted I had a phone plugged into the usb port; could this have screwed something up?
That's the only thing I can think of that changed in my boot process since the last
successful boot.

My sysinfo is at http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/471/body

I tried booting from the install usb iso, and it hangs at the message about resolving
dns at /net. The install usb boots through to rio on a different laptop.

I can read a different usb stick OK once I'm in the console.

Thanks for any help.

George

* Re: [9front] Used to boot to rio, doesn't anymore
@ 2022-08-26 16:05 ` wakyct
From: wakyct @ 2022-08-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Trying a different approach, I was able to start rio my manually running /bin/screenrc from
console, and then /bin/rio. After logging /bin/termrc a few times I narrowed the hang down to
timesync, and commenting that call out I got a successful boot to rio.

Not sure why it didn't hang there before, any ideas?

@ 2022-08-26 16:25   ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2022-08-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 8/26/22 10:05, wakyct@tilde.team wrote:
> Trying a different approach, I was able to start rio my manually running /bin/screenrc from
> console, and then /bin/rio. After logging /bin/termrc a few times I narrowed the hang down to
> timesync, and commenting that call out I got a successful boot to rio.
>
> Not sure why it didn't hang there before, any ideas?
>

> George

There is not enough information here.
Are you booting a terminal kernel? Did
you update between the last time it worked and
now?

* Re: [9front] Used to boot to rio, doesn't anymore
@ 2022-08-26 16:54     ` wakyct
From: wakyct @ 2022-08-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 10:25:41AM -0600, Jacob Moody wrote:

>There is not enough information here.
>Are you booting a terminal kernel? Did
>you update between the last time it worked and
>now?

Yes, terminal kernel (an unmodified 386 install). I haven't updated (don't know how to yet).

I did recompile the kernel once following http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.2.5. However
everything booted normally several times after that.

* Re: [9front] Used to boot to rio, doesn't anymore
@ 2022-08-26 17:27       ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2022-08-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 8/26/22 10:54, wakyct@tilde.team wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 10:25:41AM -0600, Jacob Moody wrote:
>>
>> There is not enough information here.
>> Are you booting a terminal kernel? Did
>> you update between the last time it worked and
>> now?
>
> Yes, terminal kernel (an unmodified 386 install). I haven't updated (don't know how to yet).
>
> I did recompile the kernel once following http://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html#7.2.5. However
> everything booted normally several times after that.

If this is consistent, and none of the software changed, then surely something with the
hardware has changed. Iterating through the list of boot parameters outlined here:

http://fqa.9front.org/fqa9.html#9.5.2

May help you pin down what is causing the issue. You can go through one by one
and start turning stuff off to see what is hanging. My gut is saying something
is funky with your network card so perhaps start with *noetherprobe=.

In order to enter these boot parameters, when you boot in to 9front just
start hitting any key and that should throw you in to the boot loader prompt.
There you can type these boot parameters out, then when you're done you can
type 'boot' to actually get the kernel started. You will know you missed it
if you see the memory sizes show.

For disabling ethernet, the session will look something like:

> *noetherprobe=
> boot
Plan 9 ...

-- moody

* Re: [9front] Used to boot to rio, doesn't anymore
@ 2022-08-26 19:08         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-08-26 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

timesync will block if it cannot get a reference time. lock it to the bios clock or get networking working before timesync is called.

i dont know where timesync gets its reference in 9 front default install but start by looking at why timesync is unhappy - maybe the network is dead or maybe it comes up later in the bootup sequence?

-Steve

@ 2022-09-03  2:29           ` wakyct
From: wakyct @ 2022-09-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 09:08:46PM +0200, Steve Simon wrote:
>timesync will block if it cannot get a reference time. lock it to the bios clock or get networking working before timesync is called.
>
>i dont know where timesync gets its reference in 9 front default install but start by looking at why timesync is unhappy - maybe the network is dead or maybe it comes up later in the bootup sequence?
>
>-Steve

The system time wasn't looking right between reboots so I replaced the cmos battery, and now timesync
is happy, so far.