* [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-04 20:41 Alexander Shendi
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Alexander Shendi @ 2022-02-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

So I've sysupdated and recompiled the system for amd64 and 386. I have also compiled minischeme and run some of my scheme programs from OpenBSD.

Now I need to write things (mainly letters conforming to the german "dinbrief" standard). I guess the tool of choice is troff(1). Is there a good intro or example available? I read <http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2019/12/03/0/>, but the linked repositories aren't available anymore.

Many thanks in advance.

/Alexander

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-04 21:20 ` sirjofri
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: sirjofri @ 2022-02-04 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shendi

Hello again,

04.02.2022 21:41:32 Alexander Shendi <Alexander.Shendi@web.de>:

> Hi,
>
> So I've sysupdated and recompiled the system for amd64 and 386. I have
> also compiled minischeme and run some of my scheme programs from
> OpenBSD.
>
> Now I need to write things (mainly letters conforming to the german
> "dinbrief" standard). I guess the tool of choice is troff(1). Is there
> a good intro or example available? I read
> <http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2019/12/03/0/>, but the linked
> repositories aren't available anymore.

I wrote most of my documents in din A4, and I also needed to learn the
progress.

First of all, you need to tell your troff system what's the output of
your page. This is the line length and the length of your body. Troff
doesn't really know about the physical paper size, so you don't need to
use it here.

This will be handled using the postscript converters, eg ps2pdf. Here you
can give it the actual papersize as a parameter and your troff output
will be cut to fit the paper.

Let me just look at how I did it in my thesis and I can give you the
technical details.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-04 21:30   ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-02-04 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Shendi

Yeah, I found something

In your building pipeline you have to convert the troff to some
postscript using 'lp -dstdout' (warning, it's possible you have to create
a world writable file somewhere as hostowner the first time), then you
feed it through ps2pdf to get a pdf page.

troff ... | lp -dstdout | ps2pdf '-sPAPERSIZE=a4' >output.pdf

(Note the quotes around the = sign)

As an extra bonus, some time ago I wrote a letter, and here are my troff
-ms settings for the page layout

.pl 29.7c
.po 2.5c
.ll 17c
.lt 17c
.ps 12 (optional)

Good luck, and I hope it helps.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-04 22:07 ` umbraticus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: umbraticus @ 2022-02-04 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

; page /sys/doc/troff.ps
; man ms
; echo my first troff | troff -ms | page
; echo my first pdf | troff -ms | dpost | ps2pdf > first.pdf

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-04 22:12 ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2022-02-04 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Oh, I forgot about the German part. You'll want to
set appropriate margins through macros or troff requests
and then ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE'='a4

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-04 22:59   ` Alexander Shendi
From: Alexander Shendi @ 2022-02-04 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, umbraticus

Thanks, but that won't do.

I need something like https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2010-09/msg00038.html, but for the plan 9/9front troff instead of GNU roff.

Sorry for the G-Word.

/Alexander

@ 2022-02-04 23:23     ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2022-02-04 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2010-09/msg00038.html

those look like they should work, just need to change
macro names to two letters and number register from
\\n[regname] to \\n(regname), maybe some other stuff,
for which see /sys/doc/troff.ps ; I don't know if there is
an off-the-shelf set of macros for that. I wasn't really
recommending ms either (I just roll my own macros)
but that seems the most widely used.

> Sorry for the G-Word.

German?

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-02-05  7:25 ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2022-02-05  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Le Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 09:41:32PM +0100, Alexander Shendi a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> So I've sysupdated and recompiled the system for amd64 and 386. I have also compiled minischeme and run some of my scheme programs from OpenBSD.
>
> Now I need to write things (mainly letters conforming to the german "dinbrief" standard). I guess the tool of choice is troff(1). Is there a good intro or example available? I read <http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2019/12/03/0/>, but the linked repositories aren't available anymore.

There is also TeX (and LaTeX as package) available for plan9/9front,
and this is not gigabytes:

http://kertex.kergis.com

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-02-05 16:03 ` Humm
From: Humm @ 2022-02-05 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Alexander Shendi:
>Now I need to write things (mainly letters conforming to the german
>"dinbrief" standard).

(If you happen to have a PDF or similar of DIN 5008:2020 lying around,
I’ll take it.)

>I guess the tool of choice is troff(1). Is there a good intro or
>example available? I read
><http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2019/12/03/0/>, but the linked
>repositories aren't available anymore.

There are many introductions to and examples of troff.  My little list
is at https://paste.sr.ht/blob/5719305b1df836b6c3420474865316a4d0ffdfab .

--
Humm

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-12  4:23   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-02-12  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On February 5, 2022 4:03:20 PM UTC, Humm <hummsmith42@gmail.com> wrote:
>Quoth Alexander Shendi:
>> Now I need to write things (mainly letters conforming to the german "dinbrief" standard).
>
>(If you happen to have a PDF or similar of DIN 5008:2020 lying around, I’ll take it.)
>
>> I guess the tool of choice is troff(1). Is there a good intro or example available? I read <http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2019/12/03/0/>, but the linked repositories aren't available anymore.
>
>There are many introductions to and examples of troff.  My little list is at https://paste.sr.ht/blob/5719305b1df836b6c3420474865316a4d0ffdfab .

sorry about the broken links. the bitbucket stuff is now available at code.9front.org. i'll get the links fixed.

sl

* Re: [9front] [NOOB ALERT] Actually using 9front to write things
@ 2022-02-13 11:33   ` Alexander Shendi
From: Alexander Shendi @ 2022-02-13 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

I actually managed to hack together something that seems to work. Please drop me a line, if you are interested.

Best regards,

Alexander