* [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
       [not found]     ` <dbbd3656-69c9-b71b-2d08-07912ad5326d@fjrhome.net>
@ 2022-05-18 19:48       ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-18 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

New here - moving this discussion from the 9fans mailing list.

On 5/18/22 3:41 PM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> I didn't even notice until now that there was a dedicated 9front list
> - I will try to subscribe to that shortly and move the conversation
> there.
>
> Not sure that I understand how to determine which revision I am on -
> more familiar with svn than either hg or git - if I run "hg log"
> within /sys/src the first two lines say:
>

> changeset: 8493:c8bec6f5ee1e
>
> tag: tip
>

> Does that answer the question, or how do I go about obtaining that?
>

> On 5/18/22 2:30 PM, Kurt H Maier via 9fans wrote:
>> On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 02:12:47PM -0400, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
>>> Related question I can't seem to track down an answer to:
>>>
>>> I have a 9front cluster which was set up back when Mercurial was used,
>>> so that is what sysupdate is looking for.
>>>
>>> I finally realized that I am no longer seeing updates because 9front
>>> switched to git.
>>>
>>> How does one go about upgrading an existing 9front install to pull
>>> updates from git instead of hg?
>> sysupdate should have seamlessly moved you to git.  what mercurial
>> revision is your stuff currently running?
>>
>> this will be a longish debugging session so for the rest of it we should
>> probably move to the 9front mailing list, since 9fans at large might not
>> appreciate the traffic.
>>
>> khm

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-18 20:03         ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-18 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I should probably add a few more details:

The cluster is a set of four Raspberry Pi systems, running on arm64
architecture.  Probably not relevant, but that is the case.

One is a stand-alone auth server and a second is the main file server,
the other two serving as CPU servers which boot mostly from the main
file server.

I am running this from one of the CPU servers, but as the user glenda,
who owns the file server.

When I run the sysupdate command I am getting:

pulling from https://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front

searching for changes

no changes found

I did try doing a cd /sys/src; mk all; mk install - this did not change
the situation.

The sysupdate script does contain "hg" commands, not "git" commands.

@ 2022-05-19  1:51         ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-05-19  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net>:
> New here - moving this discussion from the 9fans mailing list.
>

> On 5/18/22 3:41 PM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> > I didn't even notice until now that there was a dedicated 9front list
> > - I will try to subscribe to that shortly and move the conversation
> > there.
> >
> > Not sure that I understand how to determine which revision I am on -
> > more familiar with svn than either hg or git - if I run "hg log"
> > within /sys/src the first two lines say:
> >

> > changeset: 8493:c8bec6f5ee1e
> >
> > tag: tip
> >

> > Does that answer the question, or how do I go about obtaining that?

That's the right version. What about:

	bind -ac /dist/plan9front/ /
	hg diff /rc/bin/sysupdate

?

if there are differences, 'hg revert' should
solve it.

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-19  8:20           ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-19  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

No output from the "hg diff" command.

@ 2022-05-19 17:46             ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2022-05-19 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 04:20:56AM -0400, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> No output from the "hg diff" command.

Do you have a /dist/plan9front/.git directory?

@ 2022-05-19 18:41               ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

No.

@ 2022-05-20  1:02             ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2022-05-20  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, 19 May 2022 04:20:56 -0400
"Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@fjrhome.net> wrote:

> No output from the "hg diff" command.

Compare the sysupdate script to your own.
https://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front/file/c8bec6f5ee1e/rc/bin/sysupdate
If it doesn't match, and if you have git installed,
you could try manually replacing the sysupdate script.

Thanks,
Amavect

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-20  1:33                 ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2022-05-20  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 5/19/22 12:41, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> No.
>

> On 5/19/22 1:46 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
>> On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 04:20:56AM -0400, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
>>> No output from the "hg diff" command.
>> Do you have a /dist/plan9front/.git directory?
>>
>> khm

Have you tried hg update?

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-20  2:25                   ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-20  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

If I cd /sys/src then hg update I get:

abort: untracked file in working directory differs from file in
requested revision: 'sys/lib/git/common.rc'

@ 2022-05-20  2:35               ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-20  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

As I said earlier in the thread, my script still has the "hg" commands.

I do have git installed.

I may try this suggestion tomorrow as it looks like that script contains
the logic to switch the repository to git.

An update on my response to the other fork in this thread: I ran hg
update from /dist/plan9front and it updated 140 files, but
/bin/sysupdate still contains the hg commands.

I then did a cd /sys/src followed by mk all then mk install - no change
to /bin/sysupdate

@ 2022-05-20  2:59                 ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2022-05-20  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 5/19/22 20:35, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> As I said earlier in the thread, my script still has the "hg" commands.
>
> I do have git installed.
>
> I may try this suggestion tomorrow as it looks like that script contains
> the logic to switch the repository to git.
>

> An update on my response to the other fork in this thread: I ran hg
> update from /dist/plan9front and it updated 140 files, but
> /bin/sysupdate still contains the hg commands.

You need to slow down and understand the state of your system.

First from your other response:

> abort: untracked file in working directory differs from file in
> requested revision: 'sys/lib/git/common.rc'

This is hg complaining that an update would thrash a file that your
current revision knows nothing about. Git didn't used to be tracked,
you installed it manually, now it's tracked. Uninstall your current version
and use the tracked one.

Updating is a two part step, you fetch updates from the remote(hg pull), then
you update your local files(hg update). As per your hg log posted earlier you
are up to date with the remote(you pulled at some point), you are just missing
the hg update step. When you attempted to earlier, it bailed due the issue you
posted about above. Fix the current tree then update again.

When you are updating you need to have the .hg folder bound onto the root.
.hg is stored in /dist/plan9front but when managing the source tree it expects
to be bound onto root. You can see this done in sysupdate. You can do the binding
manually like this:

bind -ac /dist/plan9front /

> I then did a cd /sys/src followed by mk all then mk install - no change
> to /bin/sysupdate

Look at your namespace, /bin/sysupdate is a rc script.
It it not built from /sys/src it is bound directly in to /bin
from /rc/bin.

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-20  4:37                     ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-05-20  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net>:
> If I cd /sys/src then hg update I get:
>

> abort: untracked file in working directory differs from file in
> requested revision: 'sys/lib/git/common.rc'

ok -- the manually installed version of git
is conflicting with the version that sysupdate
wants to add.

Do you have local changes?

	hg up -C

will bring you to the expected revision,
but will blow away local changes.

you can also likely remove or clean up
/sys/lib/git/common.rc

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-20  9:15                       ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-20  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I first tried removing /sys/lib/git/common.rc and running "hg update"
again (I believe I had already run the command last time to bind
/dist/plan9front to / but in any case I did so first this time).

The hg update command no longer complained about an untracked file when
run from /sys/src.  It did not make any changes, however, whether I ran
it from /, /sys/src or /dist/plan9front.

Removing the file did break my git installation (which I had expected),
but it did not result in the local install being replaced by the tracked
one:

glenda@brains1% cd /sys/src
glenda@brains1% hg ident
c8bec6f5ee1e+ tip
glenda@brains1% rm /sys/lib/git/common.rc
glenda@brains1% hg up
0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
glenda@brains1% cd /
glenda@brains1% hg up
0 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

glenda@brains1% cat /bin/sysupdate
#!/bin/rc
rfork en
source=https://code.9front.org/hg/plan9front
cd /
if(! test -d .hg)
     bind -ac /dist/plan9front /
while(! ~ $#* 0){
     switch($1){
     case -i
         hg incoming $source
     case *
         echo usage: sysupdate '[-i]' >[1=2]
         exit usage
     }
     shift
}
hg -v pull -u $source
glenda@brains1% git/pull
/sys/lib/git/common.rc: /bin/git/pull:3: .: can't open:
'/sys/lib/git/common.rc' does not exist

Next I ran "hg status" and looked through the list of things to change -
I noticed a number of things that were local but which were important to
keep, and was concerned that "hg up -C" would remove them, so I backed
up the ones I knew I needed to a subdirectory under /usr/glenda then ran
"hg up -C" from /sys/src.

This made 142 updates, so I ran mk all followed by mk install to apply
those changes.

Next I checked /bin/sysupdate and verified that it had finally been
updated to the git version.

After validating that my local updates I was concerned about were in
fact still there (they were not modified by hg up -C) I ran the new
/bin/sysupdate.

This produced what appeared to me to be a warning and an error, plus a
message that .hg could be removed (so I did).

I tried running sysupdate again and continue to receive the error:

glenda@brains1% /bin/sysupdate
end of line for hg: moving to git.
     fetching snapshot...
fs 281324: warning: process exceeds 100 file descriptors
     pulling with git...
/bin/git/pull: no remote to pull from
got git: you may remove /dist/plan9front/.hg
glenda@brains1% rm -rf /dist/plan9front/.hg
glenda@brains1% sysupdate
/bin/git/pull: no remote to pull from
glenda@brains1%

@ 2022-05-20 14:30                         ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-05-20 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Frank D. Engel, Jr. <fde101@fjrhome.net>:

> I tried running sysupdate again and continue to receive the error:
>
> glenda@brains1% /bin/sysupdate
> end of line for hg: moving to git.
>      fetching snapshot...
> fs 281324: warning: process exceeds 100 file descriptors
>      pulling with git...
> /bin/git/pull: no remote to pull from
> got git: you may remove /dist/plan9front/.hg
> glenda@brains1% rm -rf /dist/plan9front/.hg
> glenda@brains1% sysupdate
> /bin/git/pull: no remote to pull from
> glenda@brains1%

you had a previous git installed; I don't know
what version that was. you probably want to
install the system version of git:

	cd /sys/src && mk all && mk install
	sysupdate

if that still errors, attach:

	/dist/plan9front/.git/config

and the contents of the sysupdate script
that you're currently on.

* Re: [9front] 9front, git and mercurial.
@ 2022-05-20 15:00                           ` Frank D. Engel, Jr.
From: Frank D. Engel, Jr. @ 2022-05-20 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Bingo - I didn't think to do a fresh build of git after it finally
retrieved that initial revision and i did not read that error message as
something that could be related to the version of git.

When I tried doing an "mk all" again something failed during compilation
due to files being out of sync.

Figuring that some of the files might actually *be* out of sync, I did a
cd cmd/git then mk all && mk install from there, which worked.

Now sysupdate ran (from /sys/src) and apparently pulled some files down,
and the next run appears to have been clean with no further updates.

As mk all still gave me compilation errors, I ran an mk clean to get a
fresh start hoping that it would pull things back into sync, then
started mk all again, which is now running.  I've seen errors like those
before and an mk clean and fresh start on mk all cleared them up, so I
am hopeful this will take care of it.

In any case, the source seems to finally be up-to-date, so this issue at
least appears to be resolved.

Thank you!