* [9front] Community vs. Infrastructure (for the record)
@ 2021-08-13  2:06 Stephen M. Jones
From: Stephen M. Jones @ 2021-08-13  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

The latest release of plan9front was the first (that I know of) to include
music! And awesome music at that by none other than cinap_lenrek.  I do
short run record cutting on dub and mastering plates and wanted to
commemorate this latest release with like 9 or maybe 19 records if anyone
is interested at near or just over cost plus shipping (world wide, they'd
be coming from the USA).

Further details are here:

http://9front52.sdf.org/acetate

email me if you're interested and I'll let you know when they're ready.

These are metal/aluminium disks that have a laquer/shellac formula on them
(not vinyl).  They're a step in the vinyl mastering process and are used
to create the "mother" and the "stampers".  On a decent record player
they'll last quite a while, easily 200 plays. They're individually
numbered, cut and hand cranked lead in/run out groove on a Presto 8DGV
lathe.

I also just want to say as someone who has dabbled in Plan9 since 1994 I
think what 9front as a community has done is amazing.  I look forward to
the great work, especially work catering to quirky artists, that is bound
to come. soon.

SMJ

* Re: [9front] Community vs. Infrastructure (for the record)
@ 2021-08-13 10:44 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2021-08-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> The latest release of plan9front was the first (that I know of) to include
> music! And awesome music at that by none other than cinap_lenrek.  I do
> short run record cutting on dub and mastering plates and wanted to
> commemorate this latest release with like 9 or maybe 19 records if anyone
> is interested at near or just over cost plus shipping (world wide, they'd
> be coming from the USA).
>
> Further details are here:
>
> http://9front52.sdf.org/acetate
>
> email me if you're interested and I'll let you know when they're ready.

Awesome!  Sign me up :)

qwx

* Re: [9front] Community vs. Infrastructure (for the record)
@ 2021-08-13 15:36   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-08-13 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

congrats!

i think the 1st edition cdrom contained Bella Lugosi’s dead by Bauhaus - or did i just imagine it?

-Steve

* Re: [9front] Community vs. Infrastructure (for the record)
@ 2021-08-13 16:32     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-08-13 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

hopefully ok’d by bigelo & holmes!

sl

> On Aug 13, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
> congrats!
>
> i think the 1st edition cdrom contained Bella Lugosi’s dead by Bauhaus - or did i just imagine it?
>
> -Steve

* [9front] Re: [xxx] Community vs. Infrastructure (for the record)
@ 2021-08-13 17:13   ` Stephen M. Jones
From: Stephen M. Jones @ 2021-08-13 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Aug 13, 2021, at 3:44 AM, qwx <qwx@sciops.net> wrote:
>
>> The latest release of plan9front was the first (that I know of) to include
>> music! And awesome music at that by none other than cinap_lenrek.  I do
>> short run record cutting on dub and mastering plates and wanted to
>> commemorate this latest release with like 9 or maybe 19 records if anyone
>> is interested at near or just over cost plus shipping (world wide, they'd
>> be coming from the USA).
>>
>> Further details are here:
>>
>> http://9front52.sdf.org/acetate
>>
>> email me if you're interested and I'll let you know when they're ready.
>
> Awesome!  Sign me up :)
>
> qwx

Thank you qwx, I'll let you know as soon as they're ready!

* Re: [9front] Re: [xxx] Community vs. Infrastructure (for the record)
@ 2021-08-14 15:59     ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2021-08-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

What's the tracklist tho?