* [9front] feature request: log rotation
@ 2021-02-09 15:36 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-02-09 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

a machine sitting still should not fill up its own disk. let's design a sane default.

sl

* [9front] Re: feature request: log rotation
@ 2021-02-16  4:53 ` magma698hfsp273p9f
From: magma698hfsp273p9f @ 2021-02-16  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> writes:

> a machine sitting still should not fill up its own disk. let's design
> a sane default.

Isn't that the whole idea behind the WORM filesystem paradigm?  Never
delete anything, just add more storage.  Right?

* Re: [9front] Re: feature request: log rotation
@ 2021-02-16 23:34   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-02-16 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On February 15, 2021 11:53:42 PM EST, magma698hfsp273p9f@icebubble.org wrote:
>Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> writes:
>
>> a machine sitting still should not fill up its own disk. let's design
>> a sane default.
>
>Isn't that the whole idea behind the WORM filesystem paradigm?  Never
>delete anything, just add more storage.  Right?

i have seen many worms filled without human intervention. that's what i'd like to prevent.

i can roll my own log rotation, but why not provide a sensible default?

note: not all systems have a worm partition or are running dumps. the worm actually makes the problem worse.

sl

* Re: [9front] Re: feature request: log rotation
@ 2021-02-17  7:45     ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-02-17  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stanley Lieber

17.02.2021 00:34:17 Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>:
> On February 15, 2021 11:53:42 PM EST, magma698hfsp273p9f@icebubble.org
> wrote:
>> Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> writes:
>>
>>> a machine sitting still should not fill up its own disk. let's design
>>> a sane default.
>>
>> Isn't that the whole idea behind the WORM filesystem paradigm?  Never
>> delete anything, just add more storage.  Right?
>>

> i have seen many worms filled without human intervention. that's what
> i'd like to prevent.
>
> i can roll my own log rotation, but why not provide a sensible default?
>
> note: not all systems have a worm partition or are running dumps. the
> worm actually makes the problem worse.

I thought dump only writes changed blocks, so if I don't write anything
it doesn't fill the disk?

(Log files set to temporary)

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Re: feature request: log rotation
@ 2021-02-17 14:59       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-02-17 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On February 17, 2021 2:45:55 AM EST, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:

>17.02.2021 00:34:17 Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>:
>> On February 15, 2021 11:53:42 PM EST, magma698hfsp273p9f@icebubble.org
>> wrote:

>>> Isn't that the whole idea behind the WORM filesystem paradigm?  Never
>>> delete anything, just add more storage.  Right?
>>>

>> i have seen many worms filled without human intervention. that's what
>> i'd like to prevent.
>>
>> i can roll my own log rotation, but why not provide a sensible default?
>>
>> note: not all systems have a worm partition or are running dumps. the
>> worm actually makes the problem worse.
>
>I thought dump only writes changed blocks, so if I don't write anything
>it doesn't fill the disk?
>
>(Log files set to temporary)
>
>sirjofri

a lot of programs write to files under /sys/log/.

files under /sys/log/ are not chmod +t by default.

sl