From: cinap_lenrek@felloff.net
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] cwfs footgun
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 21:26:50 +0100	[thread overview]

> so i toggled twice here, and i got:
> "none disabled" as the last line.

the previous state doesnt matter in config mode.
cwfs has not read your configuration when you type
the commands in config mode.

it records what you explicitely set. and the effecting
state after ending the condifuration is what it said
after you run the command.

basically, as you hit end. it will read the config block
and then "merge" whatever you told it in config mode
with whatever it read in the config block and then write
that back.

the reason for this is that you tell it what the config
block device is in config mode ;)

so this means, if it says "none disabled" and you type
"end" then:

you'll have "nonone" in your config, and authenticating
as none will not be allowed from a new network connection.

> i guess that means that none access is disabled?

yes.

> my cwfs config block (first block at beginning of my cwfs cache
> partition) doesn't mention any "nonone".

i was referring to config mode. the "nonone" command
was removed in from the runtime console PRECISELY
because people get confused and ASSUME and GUESS
that it would persist across reboots. it does not.

> does this mean after a reboot none will be enabled?

yes.

--
cinap