From: qwx@sciops.net
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] upas email configuration
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 10:55:38 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue Feb 15 09:47:54 +0100 2022, thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com wrote:

> Trying migrate off of gmail. So I would like to get mail working on the server.
>
> Here are the configurations below for remotemail, smtp.conf, and rewrite.
>
> I have attached the logs to the end. I tried sending mail as follows:
[...]
> Any ideas what might be missing? I also setup a mx record at gandi.net. Gandi handles
> all of the DNS and an 'A' record points to the server.

Hello,

I don't manage a mail server myself, but the only client I use for all
of my accounts is nupas.  I haven't touched lib/rewrite (it's just
lib/rewrite.direct) since I overwrite whatever it does.  The only
things I have changed are lib/remotemail and lib/names.from:

	; cat /mail/lib/names.from
	qwx			wopr.sciops.net
	qwx@sciops.net		wopr.sciops.net
	qu7uux			gmail.com
	qu7uux@gmail.com	gmail.com
	[...]

	; cat /mail/lib/remotemail
	#!/bin/rc
	# $1=mail
	shift
	# from marshal(1)'s namespace: $upasname or getuser(2)
	sender=$1
	shift
	# set in /mail/lib/rewrite, as net!$smtp, but for destination
	# so don't know how to manage this, we just overwrite it
	addr=$1
	shift
	# see /mail/lib/namesfrom, /mail/lib/names.from
	fd=`{/bin/upas/aliasmail -f $sender}
	usr=$user
	switch($fd){
	case migadu.com
		addr=tcp!smtp.migadu.com!ssmtp
		usr=$sender
	case gmail.com
		addr=tcp!smtp.gmail.com!ssmtp
		usr=$sender
	case wopr.sciops.net
		addr=tcp!wopr.sciops.net!ssmtp
		usr=`{echo $sender | sed 's/@.*//'}
	case *.*
		;
	case *
		addr=!NOPENOPENOPE!
	}
	/bin/upas/smtp -dat -h $fd -u $usr $addr $sender $*

I also need to set $upasname before using mail(1), I have a whole
bunch of mailboxes.  I redacted the files since my setup is more
complicated, uses archival scripts, subrios, plumb rules, and whole
other bunch of bullshit.  I also had a cronjob to update gmail's
stupid tls certs, but in the end I opted to patch upas/smtp and
upas/fs to ignore cert thumbprints explicitely since it's what I do
anyway...  I can't say I understand it all, but it all works now.
Configuring this shit is a horrorshow, at least for me.

Also note that phil9 recently wrote mongrel(1) [1], but I haven't
tried it yet.

Hope this helps,
qwx

[1] gits://shithub.us/phil9/mongrel