* [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-19 20:12 Stanley Lieber
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-07-19 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

all,

i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.

sl

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-19 21:16 ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2022-07-19 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I was curious about plan 9 since it was released from the labs.
Couldn't make heads or tails of how to use it so I moved on to other
things. One day late 2017, after nearly throwing my computer out the
window, I was somehow reminded about plan 9 so I decided to give it a
go again. I poked around and found Harvey but was still too green to
do anything more than compile, boot a cpu server and drawterm in. I
then found ANTS, booted it on my laptop and typed gridstart. I'm still
here and have mycroftiv to thank.

Mycroftiv, Thank you so much for everything. I hope you made it to
hypercubic space - godspeed!

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 4:15 PM Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:

> all,
>
> i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.
>
> sl

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-19 22:44   ` Mack Wallace
From: Mack Wallace @ 2022-07-19 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

So very sorry to hear. Mycroftiv was always helpful, fun to talk with, a good part of the community.

Purplechess, hypercubes, and ultrafilters! … and I hope peace. He will be missed.

mackbw

> On Jul 19, 2022, at 5:16 PM, Thaddeus Woskowiak <tswoskowiak@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was curious about plan 9 since it was released from the labs.
> Couldn't make heads or tails of how to use it so I moved on to other
> things. One day late 2017, after nearly throwing my computer out the
> window, I was somehow reminded about plan 9 so I decided to give it a
> go again. I poked around and found Harvey but was still too green to
> do anything more than compile, boot a cpu server and drawterm in. I
> then found ANTS, booted it on my laptop and typed gridstart. I'm still
> here and have mycroftiv to thank.
>
> Mycroftiv, Thank you so much for everything. I hope you made it to
> hypercubic space - godspeed!
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 4:15 PM Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>>
>> all,
>>
>> i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.
>>
>> sl

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-19 23:18 ` Jacob Moody
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jacob Moody @ 2022-07-19 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 7/19/22 14:12, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> all,
>
> i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.
>
> sl

Mycroftiv helped guide me through my learning of the world of plan9. From helping me get wifi drivers installed on my first bare metal setup,
to encouraging me to take my first steps towards being an active member, to teaching me about the crazy magic he was up to with spawngrid.
His thoughts on namespaces have been integral to how I think and view the system. He was always looking for ways to use plan9 to better
understand the world around us, or as a medium for communicating his thoughts and feelings. He helped push not only myself but the community
and system as a whole. For these, I can not thank him enough.

To mycroftiv, a visionary, a friend, and a mentor, you will be missed.

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-19 23:56   ` V.M. Haas
From: V.M. Haas @ 2022-07-19 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

He will be missed

-- Mark

@ 2022-07-20  2:59     ` william
From: william @ 2022-07-20  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Wow. Godspeed and RIP

Quoth V.M. Haas <vhaas@panix.com>:
> He will be missed
>
> -- Mark
>
> > On Jul 19, 2022, at 7:20 PM, Jacob Moody <moody@mail.posixcafe.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 7/19/22 14:12, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> >> all,
> >>
> >> i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.
> >>
> >> sl
> >
> > Mycroftiv helped guide me through my learning of the world of plan9. From helping me get wifi drivers installed on my first bare metal setup,
> > to encouraging me to take my first steps towards being an active member, to teaching me about the crazy magic he was up to with spawngrid.
> > His thoughts on namespaces have been integral to how I think and view the system. He was always looking for ways to use plan9 to better
> > understand the world around us, or as a medium for communicating his thoughts and feelings. He helped push not only myself but the community
> > and system as a whole. For these, I can not thank him enough.
> >
> > To mycroftiv, a visionary, a friend, and a mentor, you will be missed.

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-20  9:07 ` Tom Schwindl
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Schwindl @ 2022-07-20  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 04:12:56PM -0400, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> all,
>
> i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.
>
> sl

May he rest in peace, he will be missed.

--
Best Regards,
Tom Schwindl

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-20 15:09 ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2022-07-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Mycro created a mini-universe and a close-knit community within it.
We all had great time talking, hacking together, having lots of fun,
long discussions, sometimes whining and complaining.  Mycro was a very
positive and encouraging human being who was also really good at
wording out their thoughts, while also understanding those who maybe
weren't good at that.  Quite often he was misunderstood, but I believe
by those who just did not spend enough time to grasp where they were
coming from, and what they were trying (really) to say.

Community will stay, and everyone within it definitely will take a lot
of memories and learnings of/from Mycro with them.

It is very unfortunate that there won't be a rollback in this specific
time warp powered simulation anymore.  RIP, mycroftiv.

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-07-22 16:37   ` Jacob Moody
From: Jacob Moody @ 2022-07-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 7/19/22 17:18, Jacob Moody wrote:
> On 7/19/22 14:12, Stanley Lieber wrote:
>> all,
>>
>> i'm sorry to announce that today we learned mycroftiv (creator of ants, grid, etc.) has passed away. further information is not available at this time. he will be sorely missed.
>>
>> sl
>
> Mycroftiv helped guide me through my learning of the world of plan9. From helping me get wifi drivers installed on my first bare metal setup,
> to encouraging me to take my first steps towards being an active member, to teaching me about the crazy magic he was up to with spawngrid.
> His thoughts on namespaces have been integral to how I think and view the system. He was always looking for ways to use plan9 to better
> understand the world around us, or as a medium for communicating his thoughts and feelings. He helped push not only myself but the community
> and system as a whole. For these, I can not thank him enough.
>
> To mycroftiv, a visionary, a friend, and a mentor, you will be missed.

Given recent information, I feel obligated to rescind these words.
I can't in good moral standing let this endorsement sit.

I guess its hard to really know someone through a screen.
I feel like I lost a friend twice, first physically, then
as the person I remember them to be.

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-26  4:11 ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2022-07-26  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have only just learned of this... to say that his passing hurts is
an understatement.
My general absence for the past year only dulls it a bit.

I stumbled into the 9grid chat in late 2018 and found community there,
so I spent the next 3 years there.
I was introduced to what Plan 9 could do, and what it could be.
A remote disk, plumber, and pipe as a chatroom, all hacked together in harmony.

mycroftiv was the only person I knew who could chat with me about math
on a deeply technical and philosophical level, and I to him as well.
Our conversations revolved around the hierarchy of infinity, the
hypercubic topology of binary, and what math means in reality.

Purplechess, the puzzle game of binary traversal on a chess board,
grew from our chats and my work on various UI tools and bytebeat
music.
He had said that umbraticus and I laid the groundwork, but it was he
who saw how they fit together.
A move only changes 1 bit at a time, so one could imagine walking from
corner-to-corner on an 8-dimensional hypercube.
He didn't just imagine, he experienced it.

My favorite idea of his is metaphysical namespace binding.
A book would bind the story to present reality in a very real way.
A song would bind the presence of the first performance to now, the
performers, composers, and listeners.
And he has bound himself to my world.

Thanks,
Amavect

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-07-26  4:35 ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2022-07-26  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2022-07-26  4:51   ` william
From: william @ 2022-07-26  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I see all three messages you sent

Quoth Amavect <amavect@gmail.com>:
> I have only just learned of this... to say that his passing hurts is
> an understatement.
> My general absence for the past year only dulls it a bit.
>
> I stumbled into the 9grid chat in late 2018 and found community there,
> so I spent the next 3 years there.
> I was introduced to what Plan 9 could do, and what it could be.
> A remote disk, plumber, and pipe as a chatroom, all hacked together in harmony.
>
> mycroftiv was the only person I knew who could chat with me about math
> on a deeply technical and philosophical level, and I to him as well.
> Our conversations revolved around the hierarchy of infinity, the
> hypercubic topology of binary, and what math means in reality.
>
> Purplechess, the puzzle game of binary traversal on a chess board,
> grew from our chats and my work on various UI tools and bytebeat
> music.
> He had said that umbraticus and I laid the groundwork, but it was he
> who saw how they fit together.
> A move only changes 1 bit at a time, so one could imagine walking from
> corner-to-corner on an 8-dimensional hypercube.
> He didn't just imagine, he experienced it.
>
> My favorite idea of his is metaphysical namespace binding.
> A book would bind the story to present reality in a very real way.
> A song would bind the presence of the first performance to now, the
> performers, composers, and listeners.
> And he has bound himself to my world.
>
> Thanks,
> Amavect

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-08-25 11:49   ` umbraticus
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: umbraticus @ 2022-08-25 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

http://runjimmyrunrunyoufuckerrun.com/demo/mycro.c

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-08-25 19:02     ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-08-25 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu Aug 25 13:51:53 +0200 2022, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:
> http://runjimmyrunrunyoufuckerrun.com/demo/mycro.c
>
> umbraticus

Thanks for this, I feel it's very fitting.

RIP mycroftiv

* Re: [9front] rip mycroftiv
@ 2022-08-26  1:53     ` Amavect
From: Amavect @ 2022-08-26  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)