From: Trevor Higgins <plan9fullfrontal@qs.co.nz>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Help wanted tracking down a bug in divergefs code [unionfs]
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 14:25:53 +1300	[thread overview]

Thanks kvik,

Unionfs is definately a keeper. I see why but personally I don't like
the intermediate mount point requirement.

Unfortunately it will not replace divergefs in my use case. I am not
saying this is the best approach but I divergefs over the root
namespace, this precludes any intermediate mount point, as it would
create a loop.

I have an aversion to historic and obsolete crap and don't appear to
have any sentimental  attachment  (although I own two pdp11's) to the
the origins of p9 files and programs.

In keeping with the above, I have moved every file and directory I am
not partial to into an /attic directory , as well as moving some dirs
from / into /arch and other changes.

However, I still want to pull changes from 9front.org and I want the
least hassles and merge conflicts.

This is were divergefs comes in handy. It presents to sysupdate a layout
of the namespace consistant with the mercurial repository.

The ability to write back to the diverged directory is paramount to its
success.

If  for example, one of the fortune files is updated (like /lib/theo et
al), then the changes will be written back to /attic/lib/... and not
recreated in /lib. So updates don't recruft my namespace but are still
kept current so I dont get future merge conflicts. But changes to other
files in /lib will be written back so are kept current.

After I have sysupdated,  I unmount and I am back to a system will less
cruft.

Before I got sidetracked with this bug , I was on the way to adding in
some more features to make NS rearranging more seamless.

Thanks for you comments and the code for unionfs.

--
We need another plan