From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: skhds1@gmail.com, ori@eigenstate.org
Cc: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Need help with configuring the Internet
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:54:22 -0700	[thread overview]

> Thanks for your reply. It really answered everything I needed to get going.
>
> Of course, things aren't working as expected, mostly
> due to me being more familiar to Linux environments.
> I'm trying out many things, but the two most hindering
> problems at this point is the different uses of "grep" and "export".
>
> Starting with grep, what I mostly use is  :
>
> grep -ri "keyword" ./
>
> Now this obviously doesn't work here, so I read the manual and tried :
>
> grep -i -e "keyword" ./

Plan 9 grep doesn't recurse. Pass it the list of files instead.

	grep foo `{walk -f .}

The utility script in /bin/g has also recently been modified to
grep recursively. However, if you don't have internet working yet,
you probably don't have the updated version.

> The second part, "export", is the real problem for me though,
> because I don't even know where to look in this case.
>
> Many scripts including ndbsetup and confignet seems to use the keyword "export".
> Usually in Linux, I would just be able to use it and it will set-up the
> environment variable for me. Plan9-based systems seems to be different,
> as just naively typing in command export (or using the scripts) returns
>
> can't open export: 'export' directory entry not found
>
> I've tried "man exportfs" (that's what google shows me at least), but
> I don't think
> that was what I was looking for. In this case, just a pointer to the manual
> that explains the export mechanism would be enough for me. A suggestion to
> read the Plan9 manual is also welcome :) I'm actually considering it since I
> seem to lack too much understanding of this system right now.

You don't need export.

Plan 9's shell, rc, exports environment variables by default.
However, it caches them when they are set, so that they're not
re-read on every use.

The `export` you see in /bin/inst is a shell function defined
in /bin/inst/defs:130, to work around the caching when child
scripts modify the environment. (On plan 9, this is possible.
On unix, this is not possible.)