* [9front] Sending mail error
@ 2021-02-12 15:59 Pablo Tesari
From: Pablo Tesari @ 2021-02-12 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi everybody,
I'm fairly new to plan9 but I was trying to set up a 9front install on
a vultr server to be able to send mail front there.
For the configuration I copied rewrite.direct and replaced all
"YOURDOMAIN" with mine in rewrite, remotemail and smtpd.conf.
But when I try to send an email I get this error under /sys/log/smtp.fail

xxxx Feb 11 18:03:31 delivery '/net.alt/dns' does not exist (net!gmail.com)

At first I thought it was a DNS error but ndb/dnsquery resolves gmail
ip correctly.

Thanks in advance
Pablo

* Re: [9front] Sending mail error
@ 2021-02-12 16:23 ` sirjofri
       [not found]   ` <CALS0JdHkomGQYSp8wHc50fZLPc=yPisoiEZAorhDc=vfTE9YpA@mail.gmail.com>
From: sirjofri @ 2021-02-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Tesari

12.02.2021 16:59:34 Pablo Tesari <pablotesari@gmail.com>:
> Hi everybody,

Welcome 🙂

> I'm fairly new to plan9 but I was trying to set up a 9front install on
> a vultr server to be able to send mail front there.
> For the configuration I copied rewrite.direct and replaced all
> "YOURDOMAIN" with mine in rewrite, remotemail and smtpd.conf.

Yeah, mail configuration is more than just one config file. There are
multiple sources for setting up a mail server with upas, see my blog,
this mailing list (archive) and docs.9front.org. Configuring sending is
easier than receiving.

Check your /mail/lib/remotemail file and your dns entries, and (in case
of gmail) your spam folder there. I recommend using an online mail tester
(the one with the boat) for spam detection and potential
misconfiguration.

> xxxx Feb 11 18:03:31 delivery '/net.alt/dns' does not exist
(net!gmail.com)

This error is discussed about just recently. I think it was something
like, /net is first tested, and if that didn't succeed, /net.alt is used
silently. If you don't use /net.alt it fails, of course. I think there
was some solution for this error, but I'm not sure about that.

sirjofri

PS: I know this error well because I get it sometimes, but most of the
time my sending mail works fine. In these rare cases I just sent the
(archived) mail again.

* Re: [9front] Sending mail error
@ 2021-02-12 16:32 ` telephil9
From: telephil9 @ 2021-02-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

See: http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html#8.4.1.1.2

@ 2021-02-12 22:19     ` Pablo Tesari
From: Pablo Tesari @ 2021-02-12 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

It was vultr blocking ports by default. I didn't know I had to ask
them to open them for me.
Sorry about the spam

Pablo