From: steve <steve@quintile.net>
To: "9front@googlegroups.com" <9front@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Linuxemu and Slackware 11.0, preliminary report
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:17:31 +0100	[thread overview]

i did quite a bit of work on linuxemu last year but never got it to a stage where i was happy to generally release it. for me, working with debian, the improved linuxemu will now work
happily with the current debian distribution; i have not tried slackware.

the most controversial change was in the handling of special files, which i flag using
a combination of plan9's append and exclusive bits, rather than cinap's choice of using
an escaped "special" filename.

the change makes open, stat, and wstat cheaper as the file you a moifying is easily found,
however it does mean you have to use mkfs/extfs of linux'tar to move files about, plan9's tar
will not do as it does not understand these extra mode flags.

there are many other changes including a symlink cache, and wider linux systemcall coverage.

i use this daily at work for svn and ghostscript, and opera but i haven't tried much else,
what i have tried does work.

you are welcome to try mycode which is in /n/sources/contrib/linuxemu.tgz, though
i cannot help much at the moment as i am on holiday.

-steve