* [9front] filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-22 13:54 kl
From: kl @ 2020-12-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

In Rc's (plan9port) man page there is,

The character / must appear explicitly in a pattern, as must the first
character of the path name components .  and ..

What does this part means?

 > as must the first character of the path name components .  and ..

* [9front] Re: filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-22 14:52 ` kl
From: kl @ 2020-12-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I think it means that to expand to names beginning with . the character
`.` must be explicitly present.

But if i run the following in my home directory,

% printf '%s\n' *

I get this,

.bash_history
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.cache
.config
.env
.gnupg
.local
.password-store
.pki
.profile
.ssh
.vim
.viminfo
.vimrc
Documents
Downloads
Pictures
bin

Is this a bug?

* Re: [9front] Re: filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-22 15:23   ` kvik
From: kvik @ 2020-12-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> The character / must appear explicitly in a pattern, as must the first
> character of the path name components .  and ..

It means a glob won't expand into '/', '.', or '..'

* Re: [9front] Re: filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-22 15:38     ` kl
From: kl @ 2020-12-22 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 12/22/20 9:23 PM, kvik@a-b.xyz wrote:
>> The character / must appear explicitly in a pattern, as must the first
>> character of the path name components .  and ..
>
> It means a glob won't expand into '/', '.', or '..'

Will it expand into .name ?

* Re: [9front] Re: filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-22 16:30       ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-12-22 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelloop, 9front

Quoth kl <kernelloop@gmail.com>:
> On 12/22/20 9:23 PM, kvik@a-b.xyz wrote:
> >> The character / must appear explicitly in a pattern, as must the first
> >> character of the path name components .  and ..
> >
> > It means a glob won't expand into '/', '.', or '..'
>
> Will it expand into .name ?

cpu% touch .foo
cpu% ls .*
<no spoilers>

* [9front] Re: filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-22 18:25 ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2020-12-22 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

kl <kernelloop@gmail.com> once said:
> In Rc's (plan9port) man page there is,
>
> [...]
>
> What does this part means?
>
> > as must the first character of the path name components .  and ..

It only matters for rc on Unix (and not under plan9port).
Plan 9 directories don't contain explicit entries for '.'
and '..', so those paths will never be subjected to file
name matching.

  Anthony

* Re: [9front] Re: filename expansion of rc
@ 2020-12-23  0:42   ` Alex Musolino
From: Alex Musolino @ 2020-12-23  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I think the documentation is wrong/misleading, though.  By
my reading, we have to provide the *first* character of the
path name component '..' then .* should match '..' but it
doesn't.  I don't think the behaviour is wrong at all, just
the documentation (possibly).