* [9front] missing a crucial component
@ 2022-10-30 23:19 qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-10-30 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

It was proposed yesterday that 9front ship with a playable doom, ie.
that the ISO images ship with some WAD file that people could just pop
on and play without needing an internet connection and finding one
somewhere online.  As a bonus, this would enable using things like
opl3(1)/dmid(1) and playing some people's awesome music tracks and
demos right off the bat, and less importantly, playing around with
doom graphics using dpic(1), etc.  Obviously I really like the idea :)

I think that the best option would be to include Doom 1's shareware
WAD [1] (from [2]), which is explicitely meant to be shared at no
charge and with no restriction anywhere, in any case I can't find
anything online that would suggest otherwise.  This implies adding a
binary blob of about 4.1Mb.  doom(1) scans several directories by
default, including /sys/games/lib/doom, which is where I'd add it.
Then one wouldn't need to do anything besides just starting
`games/doom'.

An alternative is freedom's WADs [3], which I'll admit I'm not much of
a fan of.  Each of Doom 1 and Doom 2's replacements and the standalone
deathmatch WAD are over 20Mb and afaik would require a patch or be
renamed in order to be found as valid WADs automatically.  They are
otherwise perfectly playable and licensed under BSD-3.

What do you think?

Thanks,
qwx

[1] http://www.doomworld.com/3ddownloads/ports/shareware_doom_iwad.zip
[2] https://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/info/shareware.php
[3] https://freedoom.github.io/

* Re: [9front] missing a crucial component
@ 2022-10-31 18:21 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-10-31 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Pushed after brief discussion on irc.

Cheers,
qwx

* Re: [9front] missing a crucial component
@ 2022-10-31 19:57   ` Eli Cohen
From: Eli Cohen @ 2022-10-31 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

wow, nice. we still need to be cautious to ensure that it fits on one
cd-rom, that's a major selling point to my frisbee golfer friends in
academia. dvds are considered almost illegal here. we also really need
/lib/kjv because we're starting to get in trouble. marijuana is a
specter that looms over communism in north america today

@ 2022-10-31 22:54     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-10-31 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

which kjv though