* [9front] List archives
@ 2022-03-23  7:36 cosarara
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: cosarara @ 2022-03-23  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi there,

I'm new to the list and trying to browse the archives.

http://lists.9front.org/ explains:

> Each of these directories contains messages sent to the respective
> mailing list in mdir format, one message per file. Erick Quanstrom's
> nupas upas/fs (now merged with 9front upas) can mount these
> directories as mailboxes, for reading directly with a mail client.
> Note: Opening large mailboxes over a slow 9p link will be very slow.

"mdir" is a broken link to some nupas.pdf file (where is it?).
I'm having trouble trying to use 9front upas to mount the directories:

cpu% 9fs 9front
post...
cpu% ls /n/lists/9front | sed 5q
/n/lists/9front/1301537055.00
/n/lists/9front/1301538397.00
/n/lists/9front/1301539178.00
/n/lists/9front/1301540255.00
/n/lists/9front/1301552131.00
cpu% ls /mail/fs
cpu% upas/fs -f /n/lists/9front/
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only

At this point, running acme, typing in Mail and clicking it with Mouse 2
does not bring up anything, so I assume I am doing something wrong.

There is only glenda at /mail/box, with nothing in
/mail/box/glenda/mbox, and trying to cat /mail/fs/mbox will hang such
that DEL won't stop it and I don't know what to do besides Deleting the
rio window. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks a lot,
cosarara

* Re: [9front] List archives
@ 2022-03-23 18:49 ` william
From: william @ 2022-03-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

It should work but please keep in mind its 8506 files of mail
It tooke me 10 minutes to run tar cvzf $home/9list.tgz /n/list/9front/

And I stopped it early with only 1067 files.

I untarred in $home/9list

you can run touch $home/9list/L.mbox

upas/fs -f $home/9list

and run acme with Mail like normal

I suspect its taking a long time, also you won't see data in /mail/box/glenda/mbox

When you run upas/fs for lack of better word binds to /mail/fs/mbox

On my laptop I run mail like normal to talk to thinktanktworkspaces.com and it shows about

cpu% pwd
/mail/fs/mbox
cpu% ls -l | wc -l
    133

but in another terminal on a different namespace that mounted 9list is reads

upas/fs -f $home/9list
cpu% pwd
/mail/fs/mbox
cpu% ls -l | wc -l
   1063

So don't forget about namespace stuff.

Quoth cosarara <cosa@cosarara.me>:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to the list and trying to browse the archives.
>
> http://lists.9front.org/ explains:
>
> > Each of these directories contains messages sent to the respective
> > mailing list in mdir format, one message per file. Erick Quanstrom's
> > nupas upas/fs (now merged with 9front upas) can mount these
> > directories as mailboxes, for reading directly with a mail client.
> > Note: Opening large mailboxes over a slow 9p link will be very slow.
>
> "mdir" is a broken link to some nupas.pdf file (where is it?).
> I'm having trouble trying to use 9front upas to mount the directories:
>
> cpu% 9fs 9front
> post...
> cpu% ls /n/lists/9front | sed 5q
> /n/lists/9front/1301537055.00
> /n/lists/9front/1301538397.00
> /n/lists/9front/1301539178.00
> /n/lists/9front/1301540255.00
> /n/lists/9front/1301552131.00
> cpu% ls /mail/fs
> cpu% upas/fs -f /n/lists/9front/
> upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only
> upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only
>

> At this point, running acme, typing in Mail and clicking it with Mouse 2
> does not bring up anything, so I assume I am doing something wrong.
>
> There is only glenda at /mail/box, with nothing in
> /mail/box/glenda/mbox, and trying to cat /mail/fs/mbox will hang such
> that DEL won't stop it and I don't know what to do besides Deleting the
> rio window. Where did I go wrong?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> cosarara

* Re: [9front] List archives
@ 2022-03-23 20:48 ` Humm
From: Humm @ 2022-03-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth cosarara:
>"mdir" is a broken link to some nupas.pdf file (where is it?).

It’s in /sys/doc/nupas.

>cpu% 9fs 9front
>post...
>cpu% ls /n/lists/9front | sed 5q
>/n/lists/9front/1301537055.00
>/n/lists/9front/1301538397.00
>/n/lists/9front/1301539178.00
>/n/lists/9front/1301540255.00
>/n/lists/9front/1301552131.00
>cpu% ls /mail/fs
>cpu% upas/fs -f /n/lists/9front/
>upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only
>upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only

You can bind a writable ramfs over /n/lists/9front.

--
Humm

@ 2022-03-24  2:25   ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2022-03-24  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> cpu% upas/fs -f /n/lists/9front/
> upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only
> upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front/.idx' File system read only
> ...Where did I go wrong?

Looks like you should lose the trailing slash for a start.
You could bind in a ramfs or disk dir to allow creation of the idx
but it is not essential. It works; just takes a long time,
as explained on the website. This took a whole workday
to get to the prompt, but it got there in the end:

; 9fs 9front
post...
; upas/fs -f /n/lists/9front
!can't open /n/lists/9front 9front1648064740: '/n/lists/9front' does not exist
upas/nedmail: can't read
; ; upas/fs -f /n/lists/9front
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
; mail
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
upas/fs: wridxfile: '/n/lists/9front.idx' mounted directory forbids creation
8445 messages, 8445 unread
:

So, yeah, if you want to do anything significant
you probably want a local copy.

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] List archives
@ 2022-03-24  9:56   ` cosarara
From: cosarara @ 2022-03-24  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 23/03/2022 19:49, william@thinktankworkspaces.com wrote:
> It should work but please keep in mind its 8506 files of mail
> It tooke me 10 minutes to run tar cvzf $home/9list.tgz /n/list/9front/
>
> And I stopped it early with only 1067 files.

At 125ms ping away from the server, and a dance of Twalk, Topen, Tstat,
Tread, Tread (again! but this is a topic for another thread) and Tclunk
for each file, 800ms per email, it would take me over 2h so I left it
copying and went to sleep. It was done today morning.

> I untarred in $home/9list
>
> you can run touch $home/9list/L.mbox
>
> upas/fs -f $home/9list
>
> and run acme with Mail like normal

I skipped the touch, and I had to make sure the plumber was running, but
it worked :)

Reading the nupas.pdf document, it sounds like the whole point of the
idx file is to let upas/fs work without having to read every single
message file to get its metadata. I don't know if it being read-only
would cause trouble, but maybe if there was a more or less up to date
idx file in the server, this would be fast for everybody, without
needing the local copy?

Regardless, some clearer instructions in that website would do wonders :)

cosarara

* Re: [9front] List archives
@ 2022-03-25  0:58 ` sl
From: sl @ 2022-03-25  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> "mdir" is a broken link to some nupas.pdf file (where is it?).

sorry, this is fixed now.

the file is here:

http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/_books/comp/plan9/nupas.pdf

sl