* [9front] 9front Programmer's Manual
@ 2021-08-06 12:08 Humm
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Humm @ 2021-08-06 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

(Just for fun, I played around a little with the manual, changing it
to a “9front Programmer’s Manual” (with actually functioning build
system).  I haven’t changed the contents of the papers and didn’t do
much with the man pages.  Files describing the changes and a tarball
with the changed files are at /n/disk/humm/docs .)

I would like to know/discuss the future of the Plan 9 Programmer’s
Manual in 9front.  Currently, besides changed man pages and the
addition of the nupas paper, it still is the same as 4E’s manual.  As
far as I know, the only versions of it in print are sl’s rainbow books
(at which I haven’t looked yet).

What I think might be okay options are (1) deleting everything having
to do with putting the papers and manual pages together to a big
Programmer’s Manual for print, (2) replacing that mechanism by a new
one for just the man pages (akin to the rainbow books, if I actually
understand what’s in them), and (3) fixing it up for a two-volume
9front Programmer’s Manual.  Additionally, I imagine papers could be
updated for 9front (as if someone would actually do that).

So, what’s the situation?  Are there any plans other than continuing
to let it rot?

--
Humm