* opus support
@ 2020-01-13 22:47 qwx
From: qwx @ 2020-01-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello,

I recently investigated if it's worth it to me to replace mp3 with another codec
such as opus for storing my music library in.  I've concluded that it is.

Based on mischief's own earlier efforts, I've ported the latest versions of xiph's
opusdec and opusenc implementation along with their supporting libraries.  I've
also changed their basic usage to adhere with our own, and their defaults to
conform with default audio(3) format.  Additionally, I've added changes to
file(1), play(1), /sys/lib/plumb/basic and the audio(1) manpage to integrate
these fully.

For those interested, here's a summary of my investigations:

http://nopenopenope.net/posts/audcomp

It also contains instructions for setting opus up.

I have not updated my contrib directory yet, sorry.

Note that the mkfiles the patches add for building the alien code need work.

I am not sure this is worth importing into 9front, although I'd welcome it.  The
programs and libraries are over 70k lines of code.

Cheers,

qwx

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-13 23:45 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2020-01-13 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I'm against important 70k lines of foreign source code into the plan9front
repository.

It would be nice to have a 9front-extra repository for stuff like this. It
wouldn't be part of the default install, but there'd be some script
included to pull it.

Not sure where a good canonical place in the file hierarchy would be..
/sys/extra?

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020, qwx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently investigated if it's worth it to me to replace mp3 with another codec
> such as opus for storing my music library in.  I've concluded that it is.
>
> Based on mischief's own earlier efforts, I've ported the latest versions of xiph's
> opusdec and opusenc implementation along with their supporting libraries.  I've
> also changed their basic usage to adhere with our own, and their defaults to
> conform with default audio(3) format.  Additionally, I've added changes to
> file(1), play(1), /sys/lib/plumb/basic and the audio(1) manpage to integrate
> these fully.
>
> For those interested, here's a summary of my investigations:
>
> http://nopenopenope.net/posts/audcomp
>
> It also contains instructions for setting opus up.
>
> I have not updated my contrib directory yet, sorry.
>
> Note that the mkfiles the patches add for building the alien code need work.
>
> I am not sure this is worth importing into 9front, although I'd welcome it.  The
> programs and libraries are over 70k lines of code.
>
> Cheers,
>
> qwx

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14  0:49   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2020-01-14  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On January 13, 2020 6:45:37 PM EST, Julius Schmidt <aiju@phicode.de> wrote:
>I'm against important 70k lines of foreign source code into the
>plan9front
>repository.
>
>It would be nice to have a 9front-extra repository for stuff like this.
>It
>wouldn't be part of the default install, but there'd be some script
>included to pull it.
>
>Not sure where a good canonical place in the file hierarchy would be..
>/sys/extra?
>
>On Mon, 13 Jan 2020, qwx wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently investigated if it's worth it to me to replace mp3 with
>another codec
>> such as opus for storing my music library in.  I've concluded that it
>is.
>>
>> Based on mischief's own earlier efforts, I've ported the latest
>versions of xiph's
>> opusdec and opusenc implementation along with their supporting
>libraries.  I've
>> also changed their basic usage to adhere with our own, and their
>defaults to
>> conform with default audio(3) format.  Additionally, I've added
>changes to
>> file(1), play(1), /sys/lib/plumb/basic and the audio(1) manpage to
>integrate
>> these fully.
>>
>> For those interested, here's a summary of my investigations:
>>
>> http://nopenopenope.net/posts/audcomp
>>
>> It also contains instructions for setting opus up.
>>
>> I have not updated my contrib directory yet, sorry.
>>
>> Note that the mkfiles the patches add for building the alien code
>need work.
>>
>> I am not sure this is worth importing into 9front, although I'd
>welcome it.  The
>> programs and libraries are over 70k lines of code.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> qwx

/sys/dst

sl

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 11:41     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-01-14 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

qwx: cool, how many lines of code (using this same metric you used) is
the existing vorbis support and how much bigger is this here?

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 12:04       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-01-14 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Re: Opus

Honestly different codecs (MP3/AAC/Opus/Ogg) make very little difference at high bitrates (250-320Kbps),
where opus comes into its own is its licence, and its ability to scale down to very low bitrates
in a fairly linear fashion.

If anyone is interested I did quite a lot of wqork on internet radio a few years ago including porting a
variety of codecs, mpeg transport unwrapping, and HLS (No DASH as I refused to pay for an inch of ISO specs).

I even added a quick and dirty GUI (UI programming is not my thing).

Sadly this stalled as I got a job with a HIFI company and got some free gear which does all this.

Shout if interested.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 12:32         ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2020-01-14 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i am, do you have the code anywhere public (contrib)?

-rodri

On January 14, 2020 12:04:16 PM UTC, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>Re: Opus
>
>Honestly different codecs (MP3/AAC/Opus/Ogg) make very little
>difference at high bitrates (250-320Kbps),
>where opus comes into its own is its licence, and its ability to scale
>down to very low bitrates
>in a fairly linear fashion.
>
>If anyone is interested I did quite a lot of wqork on internet radio a
>few years ago including porting a
>variety of codecs, mpeg transport unwrapping, and HLS (No DASH as I
>refused to pay for an inch of ISO specs).
>
>I even added a quick and dirty GUI (UI programming is not my thing).
>
>Sadly this stalled as I got a job with a HIFI company and got some free
>gear which does all this.
>
>Shout if interested.
>
>-Steve

-rodri

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 12:55           ` Steve Simon
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-01-14 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

My contrib is a rather out of date, I will try and sort it out,
in the meantime I put the files on my own web server.

audio.tbz is the codes and players - see INSTALL
the json and xml parsers and commands are my own and predate from the 9front ones,
naturally my code uses my API.

My code is mine but you are fee to use it provided you don't claim you wrote it,
and you buy me a pint shoyld we ever meet.

I don't think there are any dependencies but shout if you have problems.
- it still builds on my server.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 13:02             ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-01-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

if you ever use steve simon's code please buy me a pint, too!
thanks in advance.

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 13:09               ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-01-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Beers all round!

BTW, sources now resides at 9p.io I beleive, which appears to be the cousin of plan9.io.

Who do I contact about reclaiming my account and associated contrib directory?

-Steve

* Re: [9front] opus support
@ 2020-01-14 15:50             ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2020-01-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

your site is very interesting, but most links are broken.

i found the package.

the beer awaits you (and hiro of course) at a ghost town in southern spain. :)

On January 14, 2020 12:55:41 PM UTC, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>My contrib is a rather out of date, I will try and sort it out,
>in the meantime I put the files on my own web server.
>
>audio.tbz is the codes and players - see INSTALL
>the json and xml parsers and commands are my own and predate from the
>9front ones,
>naturally my code uses my API.
>
>My code is mine but you are fee to use it provided you don't claim you
>wrote it,
>and you buy me a pint shoyld we ever meet.
>
>I don't think there are any dependencies but shout if you have
>problems.
>- it still builds on my server.
>
>-Steve

-rodri