i dont see where this breaks... if a server doesnt support/implement it, we get just back a Rerror from the server. and mv will do the same thing it did before... copying the file... mv is probably the only program that will make use of the new syscall... there are cases where Tmove can not work like when the source and target are on different file systems... the kernel can figure this out and just let the move syscall fail in that case... maybe Tmove is a bad name... it is really means inter directory rename... we are not really short of p9 opcodes... and the implementation will be in the expected places... 9p is not smb where all kinds of extensions are crammed into complicated sub protocol transactions... -- cinap