* Kernel panic when setting screen resolution on machine with i810 chipset
@ 2019-09-29  1:15 covertusername967
From: covertusername967 @ 2019-09-29  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

What I did:
I added an entry to /lib/vgadb to match the monitor I was using, then attempted to
set the screen resolution using this new entry. I also tried using the regular 'lcd'
setting in /lib/vgadb, and got a similar panic.

What I expected to happen:
I expected a 1024x768x24 framebuffer to become visible.

What happened instead:
The kernel panicked. Panic screen is here: http://okturing.com/src/6959/body

Make and model:
Gateway Profile 3. I would send it back to the manufacturer to have a VESA bios
installed, but as the machine is 20 years old I don't think that will work.

% sysinfo -p:
Panic when retreiving the VGA information. Partial output recovered from serial
console is here: http://okturing.com/src/6963/body
I do not know why the kernel did not output a stack trace this time.

Additional details:
I am using the kernel i810 driver, as this machine does not have a VESA bios. This
kernel is not quite stock Skin of Evil on 386, as I have updated to the latest hg
sources as well as adding a minor change to the sdiahci driver to support the SATA
controller I am using in my file server. I can provide the kernel binary and driver
source if needed, though I do not believe that is the cause of this error as a
similar panic occurs when using the unmodified Skin of Evil iso.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2019-09-29  1:15 UTC | newest]