* [9front] Two file servers sharing an auth server
@ 2022-11-02 19:18 Nathan Zimmen-Myers
From: Nathan Zimmen-Myers @ 2022-11-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello all,

I'm still somewhat new to getting 9 set up in a distributed way, and
am struggling to have two separate fileservers sharing an auth server.
Firstly, I want to confirm that this is feasible and (relatively)
common. If this is uncommon/incorrect, is it preferable to maintain
localized documents on a non-OS drive, while booting from an auth
server?

The initial goal that I had started with, was to have a web server
installation that boots from disk, but obtains authentication
information from an authentication server with which it does not share
a disk.

To illustrate: fs1 hosts auth with its own fileserver, currently
nothing else. web1 hosts a fileserver and will host an httpd. These
VPSs are both hosted in the same Vultr datacenter, so the latency
between them is minimal.

As ori mentioned in IRC, keyfs is used to maintain the authentication
database which can be queried remotely (I believe? this might not be a
correct interpretation), is it correct to simply mount keyfs on web1
from fs1?

The other option which comes to mind, is to boot web1 from fs1, and
use web1's disk for documents to be connected to httpd, which may make
long-term maintenance easier. Would this be a more common
configuration?

My assumption is that web1 should not get all of its web documents
from fs1, as this would duplicate traffic - and I am happy if I am
wrong.

Thanks all!

nzm