* [9front] Zig on Plan 9
@ 2021-07-11  6:17 Stephen Gregoratto
From: Stephen Gregoratto @ 2021-07-11  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

It appears that the first inklings of Plan 9 support for Zig have
arrived[1]. At this stage it's mostly a proof of concept for their
home-grown linker than anything else, but it's neat that it exists.
--
Stephen Gregoratto

* Re: [9front] Zig on Plan 9
@ 2021-07-11 12:02 ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2021-07-11 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

was there supposed to be a hyperlink with that [1]?

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 3:12 AM Stephen Gregoratto <dev@sgregoratto.me> wrote:

> It appears that the first inklings of Plan 9 support for Zig have
> arrived[1]. At this stage it's mostly a proof of concept for their
> home-grown linker than anything else, but it's neat that it exists.
> --
> Stephen Gregoratto

* Re: [9front] Zig on Plan 9
@ 2021-07-11 12:38   ` Stephen Gregoratto
From: Stephen Gregoratto @ 2021-07-11 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Yes: https://github.com/ziglang/zig/pull/9105

--
Stephen Gregoratto

* Re: [9front] Zig on Plan 9
@ 2021-07-11 18:01 ` jacoblevgw
From: jacoblevgw @ 2021-07-11 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Stephen Gregoratto <dev@sgregoratto.me>:
> It appears that the first inklings of Plan 9 support for Zig have
> arrived[1]. At this stage it's mostly a proof of concept for their
> home-grown linker than anything else, but it's neat that it exists.
> --
> Stephen Gregoratto
Hi, I am the author of this linker. Thanks for noticing it! It uses the self-hosted x64 (and now aarch64) backend, so it should support anything that those backends support. I had to add some more inline assembly support, but now it supports syscalls and can do hello world. :) See https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/ziglang/zig/pull/9337.patch
I think the hardest part will be the brute work of integrating plan9 into the standard library. Once the self-hosted compiler gets a little better, I will start doing this.
--
Jacob G-W