From: "Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir" <ftrvxmtrx@gmail.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] distproto: include the files in /lib/firmware/*
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 13:15:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Quoth sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de>:
> 08.03.2021 12:10:55 hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>:
> > the only downside i see is the purity of our distro...
> > right now it contains just stuff that can be generated from the
> > source, and maybe some fonts or a few small icons/graphics are the
> > only binary content
>
> I think it is very convenient to have some firmware in the released iso
> images. I wouldn't add them to the repo, adding links to them like the
> fqa already does is good enough, I think. Since we have the /lib/firmware
> directory and it's basically enough to place the files there I don't
> think too many adjustments are needed, adding mkfile rules for
> downloading the firmware files and packing an iso would be convenient for
> automatic packing (I am thinking about doing daily iso images on a server
> as well as providing a mirror for 9front isos. Imagine a rule for the
> bare iso without firmware and another rule for release isos with
> firmware).
>
> (I am not a lawyer.)
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> sirjofri

Another way would be to have enough space on FAT parition to copy
firmware to ("firmware" directory on that partition) and to bind it on
top of /lib/firmware during boot process.  ISO stays the same, the
user is free to copy firmware as they please after writing the ISO to
USB flash drive or whatever.

I'm against distributing Intel's (or whomever) binary crap in the
default ISO.  There WILL be a point where it's going to be either old
or missing.