* smtp/imap date bug, messages from the future
@ 2020-07-31  7:59 sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-07-31  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello all,

Some time ago I noticed some bug that's not critical. I want to share this with you.

I live in Europe, timezone CES. That's important because it's involved in this bug, I think. The time difference is exactly my timezone shift, as far as I investigated.

All mails I open via imap have this bug, but it's not the mails itself, it's the imap. It seems like mails are saved (via smtp) without the timezone applied¹, but when I open them imap (or upas?) seems to apply the timezone again, resulting in a future date.

I should note that this bug appears not only with a local upas acme mail reader, but also with other imap clients on different platforms. That's why I think it's the imapd server, not the clients, and also not the saved mail messages (smtpd).

To mention an example: I sent a mail from my smtp client to my server at 09:26 CES. The message is saved as 1596180390.00, which results in that exact time. My .idx file also has that exact timestamp. My IMAP clients (upasfs/acme as well as non-plan9) report a time from the future (11:26).

Looking into upasfs directory for this mail and catting some files:
date:      07:27 UTC (correct, add two hours because of timezone)
unixdate:  11:26 CES (two hours in the future)

My non-plan9 IMAP client reports:
Sent date: 09:49 CES (correct; equivalent to date file)
Recv date: 11:49 CES (two hours in the future, equivalent to unixdate file)

I'll try investigating further and send patches if I can manage to fix this.

sirjofri

———
¹ date mailstamp is correct with local time; stamp from /mail/box.