* [9front] vncs no longer responding to keyboard
@ 2022-01-23  4:44 sl
From: sl @ 2022-01-23  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

not sure when this broke, but keystrokes from vnc clients (9front or
otherwise) are no longer recognized by 9front vncs.  i've tested this
with multiple clients, including vncv (on 9front), tigervnc (on alpine
linux), and jump (on android), all with the same behavior.  i can
connect fine, the mouse works, but no matter what i type there is no
response from the 9front gui console (rio has not been started yet).

this used to work, i used it all the time.

sl

* Re: [9front] vncs no longer responding to keyboard
@ 2022-01-23 15:26 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-01-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On January 23, 2022 4:44:59 AM UTC, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
>not sure when this broke, but keystrokes from vnc clients (9front or
>otherwise) are no longer recognized by 9front vncs.  i've tested this
>with multiple clients, including vncv (on 9front), tigervnc (on alpine
>linux), and jump (on android), all with the same behavior.  i can
>connect fine, the mouse works, but no matter what i type there is no
>response from the 9front gui console (rio has not been started yet).
>
>this used to work, i used it all the time.
>
>sl

invocation is like this:

vncs -v -g 1920x1080 >>[2]/sys/log/vnc

the error condition produces no error messages, it just doesn't work.

@ 2022-01-23 17:13   ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-01-23 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun Jan 23 17:10:02 +0100 2022, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
> On January 23, 2022 4:44:59 AM UTC, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
> >not sure when this broke, but keystrokes from vnc clients (9front or
> >otherwise) are no longer recognized by 9front vncs.  i've tested this
> >with multiple clients, including vncv (on 9front), tigervnc (on alpine
> >linux), and jump (on android), all with the same behavior.  i can
> >connect fine, the mouse works, but no matter what i type there is no
> >response from the 9front gui console (rio has not been started yet).
> >
> >this used to work, i used it all the time.
> >
> >sl
> >

> invocation is like this:
>
> vncs -v -g 1920x1080 >>[2]/sys/log/vnc
>
> the error condition produces no error messages, it just doesn't work.
>
> sl

It works fine here for me, both with vncv and vncviewer on linux.  I
haven't noticed any breakage in my setup.  Are you sure there aren't
any auth problems?

Cheers,
qwx

* Re: [9front] vncs no longer responding to keyboard
@ 2022-01-23 20:43     ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-01-23 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On January 23, 2022 5:13:52 PM UTC, qwx@sciops.net wrote:
>On Sun Jan 23 17:10:02 +0100 2022, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
>> On January 23, 2022 4:44:59 AM UTC, sl@stanleylieber.com wrote:
>> >not sure when this broke, but keystrokes from vnc clients (9front or
>> >otherwise) are no longer recognized by 9front vncs.  i've tested this
>> >with multiple clients, including vncv (on 9front), tigervnc (on alpine
>> >linux), and jump (on android), all with the same behavior.  i can
>> >connect fine, the mouse works, but no matter what i type there is no
>> >response from the 9front gui console (rio has not been started yet).
>> >
>> >this used to work, i used it all the time.
>> >
>> >sl
>> >

>> invocation is like this:
>>
>> vncs -v -g 1920x1080 >>[2]/sys/log/vnc
>>
>> the error condition produces no error messages, it just doesn't work.
>>
>> sl
>
>It works fine here for me, both with vncv and vncviewer on linux.  I
>haven't noticed any breakage in my setup.  Are you sure there aren't
>any auth problems?
>
>Cheers,
>qwx

all clients connect fine and i get the gui console and the mouse works, it just doesn't respond to typing. if auth wasn't working i would get nothing but an error message, with no gui console displayed.

i suppose it's possible something is out of whack with different parts of the system being in different states of current-ness. i'll rebuild and try again.

@ 2022-01-23 20:44       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-01-23 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On January 23, 2022 8:43:31 PM UTC, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>On January 23, 2022 5:13:52 PM UTC, qwx@sciops.net wrote:

>>> invocation is like this:
>>>
>>> vncs -v -g 1920x1080 >>[2]/sys/log/vnc
>>>
>>> the error condition produces no error messages, it just doesn't work.
>>>
>>> sl
>>
>>It works fine here for me, both with vncv and vncviewer on linux.  I
>>haven't noticed any breakage in my setup.  Are you sure there aren't
>>any auth problems?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>qwx
>>

>all clients connect fine and i get the gui console and the mouse works, it just doesn't respond to typing. if auth wasn't working i would get nothing but an error message, with no gui console displayed.
>
>i suppose it's possible something is out of whack with different parts of the system being in different states of current-ness. i'll rebuild and try again.
>
>sl

vncs is running on an rpi4, in case that would matter.

@ 2022-01-23 21:54       ` sl
From: sl @ 2022-01-23 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

after rebuilding my entire system everything is working.

sorry for the noise.

sl