From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] mnt reform trackball stops responding
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 13:24:00 -0400	[thread overview]

On July 22, 2023 12:31:19 PM EDT, Philip Silva <philip.silva@protonmail.com> wrote:
>Ah ok wow, but at least that's that then! I had the trackball stopping to work at random times even when not sitting directly at the laptop. (Not often but every now and then) Other problems got worse with time, there was also a problem with static electricity which created glitches on the screen until it would eventually turn off for a while. (One time it was also flickering when being with my hand close to a USB port) But maybe one doesn't always run into that... Although now all that seems gone.

haha, weird! i've never observed any induction glitching. there is a thing where the screen will occasionally momentarily go wobbly for a second, but iirc this is a known software problem, and it has happened on both units i've used. it seems logical that no two reforms would meet precisely the same tolerances since they're all assembled by hand, either by mnt personnel or the owner. maybe something internal on yours is or was not quite right.

the usb stuff may not be limited to the reform, but since the reform leans so heavily on usb for devices that are constantly in use, it may be triggering some more general bug. fwiw, my trackball hasn't stopped responding since the day of my original post. the keyboard not responding has been even less frequent, but it did happen more than once without me trying to make it happen on purpose. i thought it was interesting i was able to induce the failures (though not entirely consistently) just by plugging/unplugging things into different usb ports.

sl