* [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-21 14:36 Benjamin Riefenstahl
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi all,

I'm looking for an SSH server for better integrating 9front into a build
service.  At this time drawterm is used as a go-between, but a native
SSH server should be simpler and easier to use, I think.

I see that other versions of Plan 9 have a program called sshsession for
this.  And there also is fgb's OpenSSH port, but that does not port the
server side and of course it's an APE application.  And very outdated.

Am I missing some option?  Does anybody have tips?

so long, benny

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-21 15:04 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2022-01-21 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On January 21, 2022 2:36:28 PM UTC, Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking for an SSH server for better integrating 9front into a build
>service.  At this time drawterm is used as a go-between, but a native
>SSH server should be simpler and easier to use, I think.
>
>I see that other versions of Plan 9 have a program called sshsession for
>this.  And there also is fgb's OpenSSH port, but that does not port the
>server side and of course it's an APE application.  And very outdated.
>
>Am I missing some option?  Does anybody have tips?
>
>so long, benny

because i wouldn't stop pestering him, moody adapted this for my bbs:

http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/sshd.go

it's essentially just a wrapper for go's ssh libraries. it doesn't seem to play nice with putty.exe, but works fine with 9front, openbsd, and linux ssh clients.

for my use, i ripped out the key authentication stuff entirely. i just have the sshd accept connections from anyone and dump them straight into the bbs.

sl

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-21 15:18 ` Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir
From: Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir @ 2022-01-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 3:57 PM Benjamin Riefenstahl
<b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for an SSH server for better integrating 9front into a build
> service.  At this time drawterm is used as a go-between, but a native
> SSH server should be simpler and easier to use, I think.
>
> I see that other versions of Plan 9 have a program called sshsession for
> this.  And there also is fgb's OpenSSH port, but that does not port the
> server side and of course it's an APE application.  And very outdated.
>
> Am I missing some option?  Does anybody have tips?
>
> so long, benny

One option is to use https://git.sr.ht/~moody/tlsclient instead of SSH.

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-21 15:35   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-21 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi Stanley,

Stanley Lieber writes:
> http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/src/sshd.go

Thanks, I will have a look.

so long, benny

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-21 16:23 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-01-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I believe the drawterm that 9front uses can run headless.
wouldn't this be a better solution (using native plan9 protocols) rather than importing ssh?

-Steve

@ 2022-01-21 21:59   ` Thaddeus Woskowiak
From: Thaddeus Woskowiak @ 2022-01-21 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

They likely don't have drawterm on the build system or don't want it as a
dependency and want the build system to work out of the box.

@ 2022-01-22  8:50     ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2022-01-22  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thaddeus Woskowiak

21.01.2022 22:59:26 Thaddeus Woskowiak <tswoskowiak@gmail.com>:

> They likely don't have drawterm on the build system or don't want it as
> a dependency and want the build system to work out of the box.

In this case I assume it should be quite easy to find/write some http
server which can provide POST for a rest-like interface, too. You can
make it work with webhooks. The only issue so far I can see is
authentication, but even rc-httpd solved that.

You can look at my gridchat-web project on github. Forget about the
webapp, but the rc-httpd adjustments involved POST. It'd need some
cleanup (and renaming since I called it PUT which was wrong but I didn't
know it better). Also it was really heavy due to long polling for new
messages, but for your use case it would be fine.

I wish tcp80 could handle auth and POST/PUT, since REST maps nicely to
9p. In theory you can write your web services as fileservers and expose
them via http.

sirjofri

PS it's theoretically also possible to use any other supported protocol
(ftp, cifs) with a dedicated fileserver that waits for a write on a file
and processes that, or use some kinda runq directory that's run every
minute via cron that watches a directory for queue messages.

Or, just go plain tcp and write a simple command protocol yourself. You
can try to wrap it in tls for security, it should work with certificates.
Telnet could be pretty easy. I thing plan 9 has some legacy/old code for
stuff like that.

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-22 13:26   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-22 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi Steve,

Steve Simon writes:
> I believe the drawterm that 9front uses can run headless.

Sure, that is what we currently use as a go-between for SSH.  It had to
be hacked to better isolate the 9front machine from the rest of the
network, but that already works.

> wouldn't this be a better solution (using native plan9 protocols)
> rather than importing ssh?

This build farm also serves a number of other systems.  like primarily
Linux and BSDs.  9front is the one that requires a special setup in the
framework.  This is implemented, but it's suboptimal and it produces its
own bugs.  It would be better IMO to handle Plan 9 as any other system.
That's why I'm asking.  And that's also why suggesting some other tool
in general is not an answer to my question, sorry :-(.

Thanks, benny

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-22 13:28   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-22 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi Sigrid,

Sigrid Solveig Haflínudóttir writes:
> One option is to use https://git.sr.ht/~moody/tlsclient instead of SSH.

Some interesting stuff in there, thanks for the pointer.

so long, benny

* Re: [9front] SSH server?
@ 2022-01-22 17:35     ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2022-01-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

no probs, just an idea. i only ever used sshd once to prove to myself it works., and that was decades ago (ssh1).

-Steve

On 22 Jan 2022, at 3:57 pm, Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net> wrote:

Hi Steve,

@ 2022-01-22 18:16     ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-01-22 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net>:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Steve Simon writes:
> > I believe the drawterm that 9front uses can run headless.
>
> Sure, that is what we currently use as a go-between for SSH.  It had to
> be hacked to better isolate the 9front machine from the rest of the
> network, but that already works.
>
> > wouldn't this be a better solution (using native plan9 protocols)
> > rather than importing ssh?
>
> This build farm also serves a number of other systems.  like primarily
> Linux and BSDs.  9front is the one that requires a special setup in the
> framework.  This is implemented, but it's suboptimal and it produces its
> own bugs.  It would be better IMO to handle Plan 9 as any other system.
> That's why I'm asking.  And that's also why suggesting some other tool
> in general is not an answer to my question, sorry :-(.
>
> Thanks, benny

Yeah. an ssh server would e nice to have (I'd use it to
serve repos for unix access on shithub), but there's no
great one ready to go. The best option mentioned is by
sigrid.