* [9front] Free Carrots #8: How To Draw
@ 2024-07-08  0:25 sl
From: sl @ 2024-07-08  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

http://helpful.cat-v.org/Blog/2024/07/07/0/

sl

* Re: [9front] Free Carrots #8: How To Draw
@ 2024-07-08  4:55 ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2024-07-08  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

nice.

a typo: pateience, plus a stray apostrophe in an its

I was trying to design a graphics(2) Cursor yesterday
and ended up using spred(1); perhaps also worth a mention?

umbraticus

* Re: [9front] Free Carrots #8: How To Draw
@ 2024-07-08  5:07   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-07-08  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 8, 2024 12:55:16 AM EDT, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:
>nice.
>
>a typo: pateience, plus a stray apostrophe in an its
>
>I was trying to design a graphics(2) Cursor yesterday
>and ended up using spred(1); perhaps also worth a mention?
>
>umbraticus

thanks!

i forgot about spred(1). i never got around to actually using it.

@ 2024-07-08  5:52   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-07-08  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 8, 2024 12:55:16 AM EDT, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:
>nice.
>
>a typo: pateience, plus a stray apostrophe in an its
>
>I was trying to design a graphics(2) Cursor yesterday
>and ended up using spred(1); perhaps also worth a mention?
>
>umbraticus

i probably also should have mentioned in the article that the moth mode cursor in mothra(1) was designed using tweak(1). i tend to overlook programs like this, spred(1), and uxn's nasu because i'm thinking primarily of programs where the user actually draws with arm gestures, rather than methodically collaging images out of tiny squares. i'll consider adding them.

@ 2024-07-08 19:14     ` thedaemon
From: thedaemon @ 2024-07-08 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 2024-07-08 00:52, Stanley Lieber wrote:
> On July 8, 2024 12:55:16 AM EDT, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:
>> nice.
>>
>> a typo: pateience, plus a stray apostrophe in an its
>>
>> I was trying to design a graphics(2) Cursor yesterday
>> and ended up using spred(1); perhaps also worth a mention?
>>
>> umbraticus
>>

> i probably also should have mentioned in the article that the moth
> mode cursor in mothra(1) was designed using tweak(1). i tend to
> overlook programs like this, spred(1), and uxn's nasu because i'm
> thinking primarily of programs where the user actually draws with arm
> gestures, rather than methodically collaging images out of tiny
> squares. i'll consider adding them.
>
> sl

Awesome write up. dpaint link is broken last time I checked.

I'm actually going to Uni. just to work on dpaint(1) and make it exactly
what I want and be the painting program I want. Spraypaint will come
first as I learn more. Don't plan on getting a job with my degree, just
work on 9front.

Yeah you can add spred and tweak as programmer art tools, they are not
artist friendly. Tweak even says it's for fonts but has been stretched
to do other things.

thedaemon

* Re: [9front] Free Carrots #8: How To Draw
@ 2024-07-08 19:27       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-07-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 8, 2024 3:14:46 PM EDT, thedaemon@thedaemon.space wrote:
>On 2024-07-08 00:52, Stanley Lieber wrote:
>> On July 8, 2024 12:55:16 AM EDT, umbraticus@prosimetrum.com wrote:
>>> nice.
>>>
>>> a typo: pateience, plus a stray apostrophe in an its
>>>
>>> I was trying to design a graphics(2) Cursor yesterday
>>> and ended up using spred(1); perhaps also worth a mention?
>>>
>>> umbraticus
>>>

>> i probably also should have mentioned in the article that the moth
>> mode cursor in mothra(1) was designed using tweak(1). i tend to
>> overlook programs like this, spred(1), and uxn's nasu because i'm
>> thinking primarily of programs where the user actually draws with arm
>> gestures, rather than methodically collaging images out of tiny
>> squares. i'll consider adding them.
>>
>> sl
>
>Awesome write up. dpaint link is broken last time I checked.
>
>I'm actually going to Uni. just to work on dpaint(1) and make it exactly what I want and be the painting program I want. Spraypaint will come first as I learn more. Don't plan on getting a job with my degree, just work on 9front.
>
>Yeah you can add spred and tweak as programmer art tools, they are not artist friendly. Tweak even says it's for fonts but has been stretched to do other things.
>
>thedaemon

ah, i had just used the git url for dpaint.

good luck writing c at university.

@ 2024-07-08 23:27       ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2024-07-08 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,

I guess I should just start writing some kinda photoshop tool, with loadable brushes, layers and blend modes, masks etc. Most needed features are already there in our drawing routines.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] Free Carrots #8: How To Draw
@ 2024-07-09  0:04         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-07-09  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 8, 2024 7:27:42 PM EDT, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9front@sirjofri.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I guess I should just start writing some kinda photoshop tool, with loadable brushes, layers and blend modes, masks etc. Most needed features are already there in our drawing routines.
>
>sirjofri

would happily playtest

sl