* [9front] Screen resolution
@ 2023-04-16 15:06 Nicola Girardi
From: Nicola Girardi @ 2023-04-16 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi all,

this weekend I moved from a RPi 2B+ to an Intel NUC.  Recent
discussions on this list motivated me to finally try that move.  My
only problem is that I can't seem to change screen resolution from
monitor=vesa vgasize=1024x768x16.

My sysinfo is at http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/498/body and the
relevant bits, I think, are:

vesa product        Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller
edid 3840x2160@30Hz
		clock=297
		shb=4016 ehb=4104 ht=4400
		vrs=2168 vre=2178 vt=2250
		hsync=+ vsync=+
0.2.0:	vid  03.00.00 8086/0166  11 0:f7800004 4194304 2:e000000c 268435456 4:0000f001 64
	Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller

A bit of grepping led me to /sys/src/9/pc/vgaigfx.c:/0x0166/ from
which I guessed I should run

@{ rfork n; aux/realemu; aux/vga -m igfx -l 3840x2160@30Hz }

The command blanks the screen and I'm not able to get it back (even by
issuing another aux/vga command known to work) and at that point I
reboot.  My suspicion is that I need to add an entry to /lib/vgadb but
I can't figure out what the entry should look like.  (The command
above, I think, is the same command I used to get 4K to work in some
other computer in the past; I didn't need to touch /lib/vgadb then.)

I read vga(3), vga(8), realemu(8), vgadb(6), but I can't figure this
out based on that (my understanding of some part of the manual is not
great).

Thanks for any help...

Nicola

* Re: [9front] Screen resolution
@ 2023-04-16 15:32 ` Nicola Girardi
From: Nicola Girardi @ 2023-04-16 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting Nicola Girardi <ng@0x80.stream>:
[snip]
> My suspicion is that I need to add an entry to /lib/vgadb but
> I can't figure out what the entry should look like.  (The command
> above, I think, is the same command I used to get 4K to work in some
> other computer in the past; I didn't need to touch /lib/vgadb then.)

Some more guesswork.  /lib/vgadb:/0166/ makes me think the controller
entry is already present.  Perhaps then I need an entry describing the
monitor?  I guessed the edid output could be used here, so I added

mymon=3840x2160@30Hz
		clock=297
		shb=4016 ehb=4104 ht=4400
		vrs=2168 vre=2178 vt=2250
		hsync=+ vsync=+

@{ rfork n; aux/realemu; aux/vga -m mymon -l 3840x2160@30Hz }

But again black screen.

* Re: [9front] Screen resolution
@ 2023-04-17  8:06   ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2023-04-17  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun Apr 16 18:05:12 +0200 2023, ng@0x80.stream wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this weekend I moved from a RPi 2B+ to an Intel NUC.  Recent
> discussions on this list motivated me to finally try that move.  My
> only problem is that I can't seem to change screen resolution from
> monitor=vesa vgasize=1024x768x16.
>
> My sysinfo is at http://sysinfo.9front.org/src/498/body and the
> relevant bits, I think, are:
[...]
> @{ rfork n; aux/realemu; aux/vga -m igfx -l 3840x2160@30Hz }

Same as unobe, you don't need to run aux/realemu unless you're using
vesa.  Also same as them, you have an ivybridge machine which I assume
is connected via displayport.  If it's hdmi, you are out of luck for
now.  igfx manages to snarf the monitor's edid, so you should be able
to just use `monitor=auto' in plan9.ini or for your command line, and
you don't need to deal with /lib/vgadb at all.  Therefore, I think
your problem is the same as unobe's, please try again with the patch
they sent earlier, at this point there's a good chance that it would
work.

> Some more guesswork.  /lib/vgadb:/0166/ makes me think the controller
> entry is already present.  Perhaps then I need an entry describing the
> monitor?  I guessed the edid output could be used here, so I added
>
> mymon=3840x2160@30Hz
> 		clock=297
> 		shb=4016 ehb=4104 ht=4400
> 		vrs=2168 vre=2178 vt=2250
> 		hsync=+ vsync=+

Don't mash buttons!  This alone would not work as this entry would
attempt to configure the vga port.  If aux/vga failed to snarf the
edid, you would have to add a display=N here, where N is a number
between 3 and 7 for DP ports A to E. Obtuse, but that's how it works
right now.  I refer you to my (crappy) old post [1] describing all of
this.  It needs to be rewritten, but it covers most of the steps.

So, try the patch, and let's hope that it's enough, otherwise more
weird crap is missing.

Cheers,
qwx

[1] http://nopenopenope.net/posts/igfx

* Re: [9front] Screen resolution
@ 2023-04-17 11:53     ` Nicola Girardi
From: Nicola Girardi @ 2023-04-17 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting qwx@sciops.net:
> If it's hdmi, you are out of luck for
> now.

It's HDMI, I have no DP connection on the NUC.  Game over.  :-)

Thanks a million for this e-mail and for your post, both very helpful
in understanding a little more.  I'm so ignorant that the thought that
the connection type mattered never remotely crossed my mind!
<facepalm> Both HDMI and DP are "cables" and I stopped at that level
of abstraction, hahaha, so silly.  I now understand why another
computer of mine works with the same commands -- it uses a DP
connection! (But I won't use realemu with igfx again, I promise!)

It's ironic that now I have a screen resolution lower than with the
RPi, but I'm enjoying the more performant hardware, so calling this a
win.  :-)

* Re: [9front] Screen resolution
@ 2023-04-17 13:55       ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2023-04-17 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon Apr 17 14:52:45 +0200 2023, ng@0x80.stream wrote:
> Quoting qwx@sciops.net:
> > If it's hdmi, you are out of luck for
> > now.
>
> It's HDMI, I have no DP connection on the NUC.  Game over.  :-)

Actually, VGA is supported, so perhaps you could either connect via
VGA if the nuc and monitor have a port, or maybe use one of those
active adaptors; the only one I've used is a dp → vga adaptor with the
aijuboard, but maybe vga → hdmi/dvi would work, dunno.

Cheers,
qwx

* Re: [9front] Screen resolution
@ 2023-04-24 15:31         ` Nicola Girardi
From: Nicola Girardi @ 2023-04-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting qwx@sciops.net:
> On Mon Apr 17 14:52:45 +0200 2023, ng@0x80.stream wrote:
> > Quoting qwx@sciops.net:
> > > If it's hdmi, you are out of luck for
> > > now.
> >
> > It's HDMI, I have no DP connection on the NUC.  Game over.  :-)
>
> Actually, VGA is supported, so perhaps you could either connect via
> VGA if the nuc and monitor have a port, or maybe use one of those
> active adaptors; the only one I've used is a dp → vga adaptor with the
> aijuboard, but maybe vga → hdmi/dvi would work, dunno.

Thanks for offering options; but I don't have a VGA port, just HDMI.
I thought about an adapter as well, but I ended up making the NUC a
cpu/auth server and using drawterm.  After all, I'm always going to
need to some other machine for Firefox anyway...  at least when I'm
working.  Very happy with the upgrade from RPi to NUC overall!