From: Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] easy install of go on 9front?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:57:27 -0500	[thread overview]

On Nov 23, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Marshall Conover <marzhall.o@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I was last working on things a month or so ago, I believe the build problem with building go on 9front was related to mismatched type declarations; that is, certain types were declared in 9front as being uint_32 or the like, and in go being uint_64, or something of that nature. The details have escaped me, but the binaries may be the simplest method, because they're (hopefully) just plug-and-play.

Perform the empirical test. Building on amd64 works fine. Building on 386 is broken since 1.4.3 and now even building 1.4.2 fails. The trivial fixes mentioned have not been verified, documented, nor applied upstream.

The 386 binaries in question suicide on 9front. Fish and others are well aware of this since at least 1.5 but nobody does anything to address the problem. We just tell people who don't know any better that everything works great.

Welcome to the Plan 9 community.

sl