* package manager? seriously?
@ 2011-04-04  1:16 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-04-04  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Ugh. I'm tired, I've been writing and doing stuff far too much this
past week, and then people start bringing up "what's going to be
9front's package manager" as if it were some kind of fait accompli,
and instantly talking about "how are we going to have the package
manager deal with config files?"

I think martian67 helped me organize my thoughts best when he said
"packages enforce a certain structure on things." ... I don't if this
will come across in text but what I really wanted to reply to that is
"Oh! OH!! Ohhh yeeesss, let's ENFORCE STRUCTURE!!! STRUCTURE is
GOOOOOOOD! Must have STRUCTURE!"

Plan 9's design is extremely good at making structure work in good,
useful, non-limiting ways. What's the system which makes the most use
of package management today? Gnu/Linux. What's the one system which
employs structure in the very worst way possible throughout? Gnu/Linux.

Package managers are a big part of the disease. Dependency tracking
helps create the longest and most brittle dependency chains. Config
file management isn't management at all. Either you are managing the
config files on your system or something else is, which way is it
going to go?

Another big argument is package managers somehow stop things making a
mess all over your system. Er, no, they provide a way for people to
patch random shit to fit an arbitrary structure... Is "random shit"
even remotely relevant in the context of 9front? For fuck's sake how
much bullshit are we going to pile on this OS anyway? Without, you
know, making it fit the OS first? Good grief people, THINK already.

Finally... "ohmigosh but the ONLY way you can possibly uninstall
cleanly is with a package manager" argument, to which I will reply
with two words: make uninstall. Plan 9 mkfiles  already have all the
files they install listed, it shouldn't be hard to put an uninstall
target in the files every mkfile sources. This isn't random bullshit
made to work with crappy implementations of make, this is something
for which we can make an uninstall target work already.

For those STILL in fucking lust with package managers, will you
PLEASE stop thinking of 9front as a suitable platform for megalithic
dinosaurian monstrosities?

* Re: package manager? seriously?
@ 2011-04-04  5:24 ` Taru Karttunen
From: Taru Karttunen @ 2011-04-04  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ethan Grammatikidis, 9front

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 02:16:43 +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Ugh. I'm tired, I've been writing and doing stuff far too much this
> past week, and then people start bringing up "what's going to be
> 9front's package manager" as if it were some kind of fait accompli,
> and instantly talking about "how are we going to have the package
> manager deal with config files?"

We already have a package manager by the name of contrib/install.

Do we want mercurial and hg as part of the base system?

If not we need a solution for installing (preferrably binary) versions
of them. Also a way of upgrading would be nice (re 9fans new hg version
thread).

Do you think the current contrib way is any saner?

We *can* omit dependencies and config files totally from package
management.

All I am thinking of is:
+ copy files quickly over network
+ install avoiding clobbering local files
+ provide remove/upgrade
+ don't start with config file madness
+ don't do complex dependencies

ps. This started from #cat-v when I noted that some of my simple installer
code does work on Plan 9.

- Taru Karttunen

* Re: package manager? seriously?
@ 2011-04-04  6:04   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-04-04  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> All I am thinking of is:
> + copy files quickly over network
> + install avoiding clobbering local files
> + provide remove/upgrade
> + don't start with config file madness
> + don't do complex dependencies

fgb has also expressed interesting in a replacement for contrib.

One of the problems with contrib is the reliance on /n/sources
as the central repository. sources is slow, it depends on the continued
goodwill of the Labs for its existence, and there is no provision for fetching
files from alternate locations.

OpenBSD's ports system may be a good source of inspiration.

-sl

* Re: package manager? seriously?
@ 2011-04-04 11:37     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-04-04 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

There's also rminnichs' 9pm. Iirc it installs 'packages' under /packages and
binds them. Seems nice.

* Re: package manager? seriously?
@ 2011-04-08 13:16 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-04-08 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i completly agree with this!

i'm not a fan of package managers... compiling and installing native
stuff in plan9 is very easy... you untar a file somewhere, run mk
install
and its done... after this procedure, you know exactly what files
where
installed/changed and the process is transparent and not hidden in
replica logs and shell scripts...

but the image changes when you consider ape ports... these *have*
dependencies and unfortunatly are not self contained :-(

maybe we just add the stuff in the 9front distribution then?

--
cinap

@ 2011-04-08 13:22   ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-04-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)