From: cinap_lenrek@felloff.net
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] cmd/mkfile rewrite
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 16:34:19 +0200	[thread overview]

> Good idea!
> mk install.compilers
> http://okturing.com/src/8417/body
> mk install compiles cc first, then [$OS][acl], and then the rest.

the compiler target should go to /sys/src/mkfile, not in /sys/src/cmd/mkfile
i think... but almost there.

now all we need is to build libc and libbio (and libstdio for cpp)
first before the compilers... after that, we can also compile cpp.

note that we should probably clean the compilers first before recompiling
here as the headers of these libraries might have changed and the object
files having been compiled with the previous headers before.

thats gives us the native compilers.

for APE, can do something similar like compiling the ape library dependencies
for pcc and then pcc itself.

the idea here is to avoid rebuilding everything twice. basically to
get the compilers up to date first before then rebuilding everything.

if you wanted a full update, you'd do a mk compilers and then mk nuke
&& mk install.

at least thats how i'd imagine it... tell me something is missing here.

--
cinap