From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] inconsistencies after a sysupdate
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:47:04 -0400	[thread overview]

Quoth Xiao-Yong Jin <meta.jxy@gmail.com>:

> > On Jun 28, 2021, at 1:33 PM, ori@eigenstate.org wrote:
> >
> > Quoth Xiao-Yong Jin <meta.jxy@gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> So git/walk is wrong.  How do I fix this?
> >

> > What are the permissions on those files? We had
> > some issues where we would:
> >
> > 1) set permissions overly tightly when updating
> >   (644/755, rather than 664, 775), so that
> >   future updates would not be able to modify
> >   those files.
>
> After going through all the files in .git/fs/object/658757*/tree,
> I found out that the permission of the files,
> 	/sys/src/cmd/?c/reg.c
> were 644 with user/group sys/sys, which glenda couldn't write.
>
> So I guess what happened was that, while git/pull, the update
> of the files /sys/src/cmd/?c/reg.c failed with permission error,
> and likely the error handling was not good enough for this case,
> which left the state inconsistent.

Yeah. That just happened to me on my laptop,
which gets sysupdated less frequently than
my CPU server.

For anyone else that runs into permission
errors when sysupdating:

	chmod g+w /path/to/files
	git/revert /path/to/files

and make sure you update git:

	cd /sys/src/cmd/git && mk install

Apologies for these teething troubles; this
is really the first time we've had a repo
owned by $user, but updated by $otheruser,
and I clearly didn't get permissions right
in that case.

I think these issues have been shaken out
now -- thanks for bearing with me.