* [9front] Git interactive rebase
@ 2022-01-03 15:17 Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi all,

I would like to fix git commit messages and structure of my local
branch.  In particular I want to squash the last two commits.

* So I try "git/rebase -i hash".

* The window text turns blue (this is called hold-mode, I believe) and I
  edit the todo-list to have the last commit "squash".

* I go back to the last line and press ESC and than Control-D.

* I get returned to the prompt.

* When I check the history, the last two commits are gone.

What I expected was that after editing the todo-list I get thrown into
the hold-mode again where I can edit the commit message.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA, benny

* Re: [9front] Git interactive rebase
@ 2022-01-04 16:31 ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-01-04 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to fix git commit messages and structure of my local
> branch.  In particular I want to squash the last two commits.
>
> * So I try "git/rebase -i hash".
>
> * The window text turns blue (this is called hold-mode, I believe) and I
>   edit the todo-list to have the last commit "squash".
>
> * I go back to the last line and press ESC and than Control-D.
>
> * I get returned to the prompt.
>
> * When I check the history, the last two commits are gone.
>
> What I expected was that after editing the todo-list I get thrown into
> the hold-mode again where I can edit the commit message.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> TIA, benny

hold mode is slightly confusing -- only the text
you enter gets sent, the text that gets printed
is there as a prompt.

We should think about how to improve this.

* Re: [9front] Git interactive rebase
@ 2022-01-04 18:24   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-04 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ori; +Cc: 9front

ori@eigenstate.org writes:
> hold mode is slightly confusing -- only the text you enter gets sent,
> the text that gets printed is there as a prompt.

Right, thank you.  I was accidentally reading hold(1) just today which
explains that.  I guess once I master hold mode, it will just work ;-)

Thanks, benny