* [9front] New user
@ 2021-12-30 18:41 Benjamin Riefenstahl
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2021-12-30 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi everybody.

I am having some fun with 9front lately, just looking at what it does in
a VM and trying to wrap my head around concepts.

Besides trying out the native stuff, I have started a personal project
to get Tcl to run.  This is uncovering bugs in Tcl as well as in
9front's APE library.  Are you interested in patches for APE?  I notice
that voices on the net discourage porting packages to Plan 9 and that
"This UNIX compatibility [meaning APE] is old and quite unmaintained"
(https://pspodcasting.net/dan/blog/2019/plan9_desktop.html).

Let me know, and I can provide patches to individual problems when I
have them.

so long, benny

* Re: [9front] New user
@ 2021-12-30 19:54 ` Humm
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Humm @ 2021-12-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Benjamin Riefenstahl:
>Besides trying out the native stuff, I have started a personal project
>to get Tcl to run.

Isn’t there a Tcl port in fgb’s contrib?  (That means you do
`9fs 9pio` (read /rc/bin/9fs) and look at
/n/9pio/contrib/fgb/root/sys/src/^(lib cmd)/^tcl.) (Also, why?)

>This is uncovering bugs in Tcl as well as in
>9front's APE library.  Are you interested in patches for APE?

APE was not yet thrown out of 9front.  Generally bugfixes are good.

>I notice
>that voices on the net discourage porting packages to Plan 9 and that
>"This UNIX compatibility [meaning APE] is old and quite unmaintained"
>(https://pspodcasting.net/dan/blog/2019/plan9_desktop.html).

Yep, APE is old and quite unmaintained.  I recommend looking at
https://git.sr.ht/~ft/npe .

--
Humm

* Re: [9front] New user
@ 2021-12-30 20:32 ` theinicke
From: theinicke @ 2021-12-30 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net>:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I am having some fun with 9front lately, just looking at what it does in
> a VM and trying to wrap my head around concepts.
>
> Besides trying out the native stuff, I have started a personal project
> to get Tcl to run.  This is uncovering bugs in Tcl as well as in
> 9front's APE library.  Are you interested in patches for APE?  I notice
> that voices on the net discourage porting packages to Plan 9 and that
> "This UNIX compatibility [meaning APE] is old and quite unmaintained"
> (https://pspodcasting.net/dan/blog/2019/plan9_desktop.html).
>
> Let me know, and I can provide patches to individual problems when I
> have them.
>
> so long, benny

Hi,

you might be interested in fgb's Tcl port:
https://9p.io/sources/contrib/fgb/root/sys/src/cmd/tcl/

That being said, I think that patches are always welcome.

Cheers,
Tobias Heinicke

* Re: [9front] New user
@ 2021-12-30 20:45 ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-12-30 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Benjamin Riefenstahl <b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net>:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I am having some fun with 9front lately, just looking at what it does in
> a VM and trying to wrap my head around concepts.
>
> Besides trying out the native stuff, I have started a personal project
> to get Tcl to run.  This is uncovering bugs in Tcl as well as in
> 9front's APE library.  Are you interested in patches for APE?  I notice
> that voices on the net discourage porting packages to Plan 9 and that
> "This UNIX compatibility [meaning APE] is old and quite unmaintained"
> (https://pspodcasting.net/dan/blog/2019/plan9_desktop.html).
>
> Let me know, and I can provide patches to individual problems when I
> have them.

It's old and not particularly loved, but it's only
unmaintained if nobody sends patches to maintain it.

* Re: [9front] New user
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-12-30 22:00 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2021-12-30 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu Dec 30 21:26:13 +0200 2021, b.riefenstahl@turtle-trading.net wrote:
> Besides trying out the native stuff, I have started a personal project
> to get Tcl to run.  This is uncovering bugs in Tcl as well as in
> 9front's APE library.
[...]

You might also be interested in this:  https://github.com/opless/jimsh9.

Cheers,
qwx

* Re: [9front] New user
@ 2022-01-01 16:56   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-01 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi Humm,

Humm writes:
> Isn’t there a Tcl port in fgb’s contrib?  (That means you do `9fs
> 9pio` (read /rc/bin/9fs) and look at
> /n/9pio/contrib/fgb/root/sys/src/^(lib cmd)/^tcl.)

Right, that is the basis of what I am doing.  First there was a problem
with the 64 bit version (seems fgb worked on 32 bit at the time), that
was a Tcl problem.  Than I moved it to a recent version of Tcl and now I
am trying to get through the Tcl test suite.  And as I said, that turns
up some limitations.

> (Also, why?)

For fun, to learn about Plan 9 and to give back a bit to my favorite
programming language.

> APE was not yet thrown out of 9front.  Generally bugfixes are good.

Ok, thanks.

> Yep, APE is old and quite unmaintained.  I recommend looking at
> https://git.sr.ht/~ft/npe .

Thinks for that pointer, I have just seen that, too.  It looks quite
limited, though, even compared to APE.

Thanks, benny

* Re: [9front] New user
@ 2022-01-01 17:03   ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2022-01-01 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qwx; +Cc: 9front

Hi qwx,

qwx writes:
> You might also be interested in this:  https://github.com/opless/jimsh9.

I had heard about Jim before, but I did not know that it builds on Plan
9.  Interesting, thanks.

so long, benny