From: Nicola Girardi <ng@0x80.stream>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] Question re: RPI video performance
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 18:00:26 +0100	[thread overview]

Quoth Nicola Girardi <ng@0x80.stream>:
> Quoth Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>:
> >
> > which pi do you have, the ancient ones can be slow but 3b and 4 have been fine for me.
>
> This one's a 2b+, but I had the same behavior with a 3b+.
>
> I did try Miller's image (with some effort, as I didn't have a spare
> SD card, but was curious) for comparison and the video *seems* faster
> but I think it's just because the acme implementation there doesn't
> redraw a window each time a character is added to its tag.  :-)

The above experiment led me to the conclusion that I could run 4e acme
in 9front to have fewer redraws, at the expense of not having 9front's
new features and bugfixes.  Incredible how easy it was to do that
thanks to namespaces and static binaries: I bound the plan9-4e sources
to /sys/src, a ramfs to /arm/lib, and built acme and necessary
libraries from there, installed in /arm/bin, then deleted the window.

Thanks for the hints given so far.

Nicola