* wifi
@ 2020-01-23 18:29 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2020-01-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

questions:

- what modes (a, b, g, n, etc.) are supported?
- is band steering supported?

sl

* Re: [9front] wifi
@ 2020-01-23 21:25 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-01-23 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

should be only b/g
is band steering actually a part of any spec? does it actually require
anything special from a wifi station?

On 1/23/20, Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
> questions:
>
> - what modes (a, b, g, n, etc.) are supported?
> - is band steering supported?
>
> sl

* Re: [9front] wifi
@ 2020-01-23 21:49   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2020-01-23 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I don't know, but I suspect my wifi repeater and multiple channels using the same bssid are confusing 9front. frequent connection drops even with strong signal. not observed when all channels had unique bssid.

sl

* Re: [9front] wifi
@ 2020-01-23 21:53   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2020-01-23 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 01:25:33PM -0800, hiro wrote:
> should be only b/g
> is band steering actually a part of any spec? does it actually require
> anything special from a wifi station?

band steering is not part of any standard.  if it happens at all, it has
to be the computer driving it, not the wifi device.  generally speaking,
drivers tend to prefer 5GHz, given identical configurations (essid,
auth, vlans, etc) across both frequency bands.  again, no device (to my
knowledge) has this built-in, it's always done in software.

My omniscience machine is broken, so I might be wrong.

khm

* Re: [9front] wifi
@ 2020-01-24 10:03     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-01-24 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

sl: i'm surprised to hear you have multiple times the same bssid on
different channels. that sounds non-standard, too and if you can turn
that off it might help indeed.

* Re: [9front] wifi
@ 2020-01-24 15:21       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2020-01-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On January 24, 2020 5:03:01 AM EST, hiro <23hiro@gmail.com> wrote:
>sl: i'm surprised to hear you have multiple times the same bssid on
>different channels. that sounds non-standard, too and if you can turn
>that off it might help indeed.

sorry, I meant essid.

I had fiber gigabit internet installed, along with a much needed isp-provided wifi repeater. they recommended setting both 2ghz and 5ghz channels in my isp-provided router/ap to the same essid, and the repeater mirrors those essids, for a grand total of three separate channels using the same essid (for some reason the 5ghz channel on the repeater uses the same channel as the 5ghz on the router/ap, but the 2ghz does not). at the other end of my house where 9front is located, signal strength from the router/ap is weak but works, and signal strength from the repeater is strong.

ever since this was all setup, my local 9front (which uses said wifi) has started freezing/dropping incoming rcpu sessions. incoming rcpu -p can only rarely complete a connection at all. rcpu without -p can usually connect, but suffers accordingly. making and sustaining connections to this machine was never a problem before.

seemed logical to start by asking questions only about the recent changes on my network that coincided with the observed trouble. machine's most recent sysupdate is only a few days ago, but I don't recall any recent wifi changes.

sysinfo: http://okturing.com/src/7656/body

obviously, i'm not a wifi expert. maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree.

sl

* Re: [9front] wifi
@ 2020-01-24 18:27         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-01-24 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

you could try to force the nearest bssid in 9front.
obviously it might be that that repeater is totally broken (possibly by design).
i haven't tried repeaters in >5 years. mischief is working in a
company that makes repeaters that now have 3 instead of 2 radios, so
that the repeater can be a wifi station on one channel while being an
AP on 2 other (both 2.4 and 5ghz) channels.
they call this "mesh" for some reason, but that seems to just be marketing.