* [9front] 9FRONT MIT FRUCHTGESCHMACK print edition
@ 2021-04-11  3:02 sl
From: sl @ 2021-04-11  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

finally available:

	http://9front.org/propaganda/books

ACHTUNG!

we would like this to be the final amazon-only
print edition. currently investigating alternative
pod vendors. (relax, most are still able to service
amazon.)

more on this later.

sl

* [9front] 9front on risc v
@ 2021-04-14 16:35 ` Moritz Messner
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Moritz Messner @ 2021-04-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

As the beaglev is (hopefully) coming out in the next quarter year, would anyone be interested in porting 9front to it? It would provide a (somewhat) cheap starting point at under 200€. And there has been some work on a risc v compiler...

* Re: [9front] 9front on risc v
@ 2021-04-14 17:17   ` tlaronde
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: tlaronde @ 2021-04-14 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:35:30PM +0200, Moritz Messner wrote:
> As the beaglev is (hopefully) coming out in the next quarter year, would anyone be interested in porting 9front to it? It would provide a (somewhat) cheap starting point at under 200?. And there has been some work on a risc v compiler...

Not to put aside or turn my nose up to RISC V---since with the
absorption of ARM, alternatives are good to have and I have, too, bought
documentation about RISC V---but if the motivation is the price, there
are Arm based Soc that, with a case, an external battery and an
alimentation are available for less than 70 euros VAT included ($84)
(for example with Olimex).

For a terminal, what costs much today is the display ("much" relative to
the price of the Soc).

For trying to build a cluster in order to experiment various ways of
distributing processing, it has become quite affordable.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/

* Re: [9front] 9front on risc v
@ 2021-04-14 17:19   ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-04-14 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Moritz Messner <moritz.messner@gmx.at>:
> would anyone be interested in porting 9front to it?

Sounds like you would be.

* Re: [9front] 9front on risc v
@ 2021-04-14 18:02     ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-04-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 10:24 AM <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

> Quoth Moritz Messner <moritz.messner@gmx.at>:
> > would anyone be interested in porting 9front to it?
>
> Sounds like you would be.

I am interested in helping as well. I maybe looking at the
hardware anyway from Linux side of things.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9front] 9front on risc v
@ 2021-04-14 19:35   ` Alexander McLin
From: Alexander McLin @ 2021-04-14 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I would be also interested in a RISC-V port. I have RISC-V
documentation and would be happy to help out in any way I can though
full disclosure I don't have much experience with porting to
alternative architecture but am willing to learn and help with
testing.

Alex

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM Moritz Messner <moritz.messner@gmx.at> wrote:

> As the beaglev is (hopefully) coming out in the next quarter year, would anyone be interested in porting 9front to it? It would provide a (somewhat) cheap starting point at under 200€. And there has been some work on a risc v compiler...

* Re: [9front] 9front on risc v
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-04-14 19:58   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-04-14 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:35:30PM +0200, Moritz Messner wrote:
> As the beaglev is (hopefully) coming out in the next quarter year, would anyone be interested in porting 9front to it? It would provide a (somewhat) cheap starting point at under 200€. And there has been some work on a risc v compiler...

we've been six months out from a compelling risc-v computer for about
five years now