* [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-14 23:50 Jonas
From: Jonas @ 2021-07-14 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Am I the only one receiving the emails at strange times? I get them
hours or days after they were sent and often responses before the email
the response is responding to.

* Re: [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-14 23:59 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2021-07-14 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 01:50:00AM +0200, Jonas wrote:
> Am I the only one receiving the emails at strange times? I get them
> hours or days after they were sent and often responses before the email
> the response is responding to.

This is a result of top-posting.

khm

* Re: [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-15  1:20 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2021-07-15  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 14, 2021 7:50:00 PM EDT, Jonas <jonas@jole.xyz> wrote:
>Am I the only one receiving the emails at strange times? I get them
>hours or days after they were sent and often responses before the email
>the response is responding to.

you're not the only one. list delivery is currently a shambles owing transient send failures to known good hosts. messages seem to (eventually) get through.

we're still working on it.

sl

* Re: [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-15 14:07   ` John Murphy
From: John Murphy @ 2021-07-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front; +Cc: sl

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 21:20:03 -0400
Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:

> you're not the only one. list delivery is currently a shambles owing
> transient send failures to known good hosts. messages seem to
> (eventually) get through.

If it's any help, it looks like 1ess.inri.net is sending some invalid
SMTP command. I'm seeing a bunch of these 500 errors being returned
on my mail server:

	result="500 5.5.1 Invalid command: Command unrecognized"

I've turned on SMTP tracing, and can send more info if its helpful.
Just need to wait for another email to come through.

* Re: [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-15 14:54     ` ori
From: ori @ 2021-07-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front; +Cc: 9front

Quoth John Murphy <me@jtm.cx>:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 21:20:03 -0400
> Stanley Lieber <sl@stanleylieber.com> wrote:
>
> > you're not the only one. list delivery is currently a shambles owing
> > transient send failures to known good hosts. messages seem to
> > (eventually) get through.
>
> If it's any help, it looks like 1ess.inri.net is sending some invalid
> SMTP command. I'm seeing a bunch of these 500 errors being returned
> on my mail server:
>
> 	result="500 5.5.1 Invalid command: Command unrecognized"
>
> I've turned on SMTP tracing, and can send more info if its helpful.
> Just need to wait for another email to come through.

Yep, that'd be appreciated -- thanks!

* Re: [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-16 14:50     ` John Murphy
From: John Murphy @ 2021-07-16 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I've turned on SMTP tracing, and can send more info if its helpful.
> Just need to wait for another email to come through.

Looks like the issue hasn't happened again, so unfortunately I don't
have any trace.  Here are some more detailed logs from the original
issue.

Jul 13 19:49:01 mail smtpd[53491]: smtp connected address=216.126.196.35 host=1ess.inri.net
Jul 13 19:49:01 mail smtpd[53491]: smtp failed-command command="MAIL FROM:<papkarinejean@latu.my.id>" result="503 5.5.1 Invalid command: Command not allowed at this point."
[...]
Jul 13 20:30:23 mail smtpd[53491]: smtp connected address=216.126.196.35 host=1ess.inri.net
Jul 13 20:30:23 mail smtpd[53491]: smtp failed-command command="Received: from compute1.internal (compute1.nyi.internal [10.202.2.41])" result="500 5.5.1 Invalid command: Command unrecognized"
[...]
Jul 13 20:58:54 mail smtpd[53491]: smtp connected address=216.126.196.35 host=1ess.inri.net
Jul 13 20:58:54 mail smtpd[53491]: smtp failed-command command="Received: by mail-pj1-f45.google.com with SMTP id n11so12859079pjo.1" result="500 5.5.1 Invalid command: Command unrecognized"

The first log looks like a missing HELO/EHLO from 1ess.inri.net,
and the latter two look like email is being sent before a DATA
command. All of the remaining smtp errors in the log look like the
last two. Not sure what could be causing these..

I hope this is helpful; I'll turn on trace if the issue happens
again.

* Re: [9front] Unreliable delivery
@ 2021-07-16 18:06       ` sl
From: sl @ 2021-07-16 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Looks like the issue hasn't happened again, so unfortunately I don't
> have any trace.  Here are some more detailed logs from the original
> issue.

thanks.  of course the transient nature of these failures makes
nothing any easier.  i've not yet figured out a good way to rig up
logging that can capture exactly where things are going long (or even
to examine the logging i've already captured, in depth).

(help appreciated)

in the meantime, i've added bind /net /net.alt to the cron-spawn runq
as well as the listeners for incoming mail.  as ori suggested, this
gives us a free retry.  subjectively, the queue is processing more
efficiently since this change.

sl