* [9front] Writers' Workbench on 9front
@ 2020-12-23 10:41 sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2020-12-23 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey all,

TL;DR: wwb on 9front, download link, not ready yet, please share with
TUHS.

some of you already know it, I'm currently trying to make the famous
writers' workbench work on 9front (APE).

Currently I got the original interesting tools working (style, diction),
the large wwb directory with punct, sexist and many more is still wip,
but the working tools are great.

You can get the source code here:
http://wiki.9gridchan.org/incoming/sirjofri/src/v10/wwb.src.tgz

I try to keep the thing updated. It should compile fine under any recent
9front without additional software.

The code is mostly original UNIX V10 code, I needed to fix function
arguments and forward declarations, as well as include files. Otherwise
the code is left untouched, you can compare it with the original code at
TUHS archive (many thanks to them).

Other than the portable C code I needed (and still need) to translate the
sh scripts to rc. The mkfiles install the rc files, the sh files are
untouched (in fact, I don't think I included them in the package).

Still not tested properly, so there might be bugs, especially in the
scripts.

Re licensing: tuhs announced that the code is closed source but they
don't care as long as it's noncommercially used. It would still be great
if they opensourced this part of Unix V10, just because it's good and
forgotten software.

Re tuhs: they had a conversation about wwb a month ago. To me it seems
like they would be interested in knowing about this port. I'm not on tuhs
mailing list and I don't plan to join the list, so it would be great if
somebody could forward this mail.

I plan to use the wwb for my future writing and I noticed much of
excitement about it. Since I have something usable I decided to wait no
longer but share it with you now. But keep in mind that I don't have much
time now because I have actually something to write for university.

sirjofri