From: qwx@sciops.net
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] window label
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 22:19:39 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu May 30 20:02:14 +0200 2024, me+unobe@fallglow.com wrote:
> The man page for window(1) has quite a few
> flags yet one that I often wish were there is not:
> setting the label. There's a separate 'label'
> command, so the simplest I've gotten to starting
> a new window with rc and setting the label is:
>
> 	window rc -c '''label mylabel; rc'''
>
> The inner quotes are required.[1]

window 'label mylabel; rc' works as well.  Things can get hairy with
plumb rules which do have to use rc -c for quoting arguments and such.

> There are 3 different ways to set the size of the window
> (i.e., '-r', '-dx/dy', '-min/max'), and two flags to
> determine scrolling. To me, it looks like this might have
> been an oversight or window(1) was developed when the
> UI wasn't more fully developed (i.e., before a 'label'
> even existed).[2] I'll only ask one question
> for now: is the lack of setting label with a flag an
> oversight or intentional?[3]
>
> - Romano

The window command is funky; -m is funky as well.  There has already
been discussion around it on the mailing list, I suggest you look the
threads up.  I don't think a consensus was reached in the end about
how it should behave.  "patches welcome" I guess.

Cheers,
qwx