* [9front] MB Pro early-2011 support status
@ 2021-04-19  5:36 unobe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: unobe @ 2021-04-19  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have written a description about what works and does not work on an
early-2011 macbook pro.  The post is @
https://blog.fallglow.com/2021/04-13/blog

I have a few patches that have made it more reasonable to use 9front
on a macbook from the get-go (most notably the new keymap and pc64mb
conf file in the pc64 kernel directory) and have setup up a new branch
to keep track of the changes.  It's not ready for merging to default
but my hope is to get multi-touch working along with some of the other
hardware (audio, camera, monitor blanking).  The branch is now hosted
at https://fallglow.com/p9/mb : my plan is to track default and merge
default into this branch every so often.

One of my next steps that I'd like to do is to try to resolve is the
lack of monitor blanking.  The current status of Sandy Bridge mentions
it being unfinished (changeset 4713:3e7542933175 ).  There's code in
the igfx for sandy bridge to blank, but it's not working for me when I
set 'echo hwblank on >/dev/vgactl' and do 'echo blank >/dev/mousectl'.
So I figure there's something that isn't implemented yet.  This is a
new area of programming for me so I figure looking at the 9front code,
the corresponding drivers for OpenBSD and Linux, and the programmer's
manuals is what I should do.  Cinap--since you committed changeset
4713, do you recall anything I should be looking at for this?  (Or
anyone else who is still reading this long, drawn-out message?) I am
currently wading through the 2011 Intel Core Processor Family docs
found at
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/hardware-specification-prms