* [9front] Full cwfs fscache
@ 2024-07-02  0:58 Dave MacFarlane
From: Dave MacFarlane @ 2024-07-02  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did something that filled up my fscache partition and it took me a couple of hours trying to figure out how to save my server.

I think it might be worth adding something to the troubleshooting section of the fqa like:

"Q: I filled up my cwfs cache!
A: You can restore your cache from the latest dump with the "recover" command. Boot from an iso and enter a shell with '!rc'. Run 'cwfs64x -c -f $fscachepath' and in the cwfs configuration shell run
   recover main
   end
"

The wording/instructions could probably be cleaned up by someone who knows it better than me, but the information is currently buried deep in fsconfig(8) which is not the first place you look and hard to access when your filesystem won't mount.

* Re: [9front] Full cwfs fscache
@ 2024-07-04  9:14 ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2024-07-04  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Jul 3, 2024 03:34:43 Dave MacFarlane <driusan@driusan.net>:

> I did something that filled up my fscache partition and it took me a couple of hours trying to figure out how to save my server.
>
> I think it might be worth adding something to the troubleshooting section of the fqa like:
>
> "Q: I filled up my cwfs cache!
> A: You can restore your cache from the latest dump with the "recover" command. Boot from an iso and enter a shell with '!rc'. Run 'cwfs64x -c -f $fscachepath' and in the cwfs configuration shell run
>    recover main
>    end
> "
>
> The wording/instructions could probably be cleaned up by someone who knows it better than me, but the information is currently buried deep in fsconfig(8) which is not the first place you look and hard to access when your filesystem won't mount.

Hi,

This is the simplest case, but it would make sense to add a section
about it in fqa9.  You also should do 'check rtmp' on the cwfs
console after recovery (see fs(8)).  So, in case you fill up your
cache or have an unclean shutdown or such, typically you would:

- boot and append the -c flag to bootargs to enter config mode (instead
  of using the iso or entering the shell and starting cwfs manually)
- enter 'recover main' and 'end'
- run 'check rtmp' etc in the cwfs console once successfully booted.

Again, this only covers the simplest case.  I'll think about a nice
phrasing for the fqa unless there are any objections.

Cheers,
qwx

* Re: [9front] Full cwfs fscache
@ 2024-07-04 13:15   ` Dave MacFarlane
From: Dave MacFarlane @ 2024-07-04 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth qwx@sciops.net:
> Hi,
>
> This is the simplest case, but it would make sense to add a section
> about it in fqa9.  You also should do 'check rtmp' on the cwfs
> console after recovery (see fs(8)).  So, in case you fill up your
> cache or have an unclean shutdown or such, typically you would:
>
> - boot and append the -c flag to bootargs to enter config mode (instead
>   of using the iso or entering the shell and starting cwfs manually)
> - enter 'recover main' and 'end'
> - run 'check rtmp' etc in the cwfs console once successfully booted.
>
> Again, this only covers the simplest case.  I'll think about a nice
> phrasing for the fqa unless there are any objections.
>
> Cheers,
> qwx

That makes sense to me, like I said someone else could write a better
entry than me.  I just wanted to include something in my message as a
starting point.  I think the important part to me is that what to try
if a cwfs cache is filled is documented somewhere other than scattered
around man pages on the file system that won't mount and in various
developer's heads.

(I forgot to include it in the instructions but I did do a check rtmp
on my system.)

- Dave

* Re: [9front] Full cwfs fscache
@ 2024-07-04 17:01   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2024-07-04 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On July 4, 2024 5:14:45 AM EDT, qwx@sciops.net wrote:
>Jul 3, 2024 03:34:43 Dave MacFarlane <driusan@driusan.net>:
>
>> I did something that filled up my fscache partition and it took me a couple of hours trying to figure out how to save my server.
>>
>> I think it might be worth adding something to the troubleshooting section of the fqa like:
>>
>> "Q: I filled up my cwfs cache!
>> A: You can restore your cache from the latest dump with the "recover" command. Boot from an iso and enter a shell with '!rc'. Run 'cwfs64x -c -f $fscachepath' and in the cwfs configuration shell run
>>    recover main
>>    end
>> "
>>
>> The wording/instructions could probably be cleaned up by someone who knows it better than me, but the information is currently buried deep in fsconfig(8) which is not the first place you look and hard to access when your filesystem won't mount.
>
>Hi,
>
>This is the simplest case, but it would make sense to add a section
>about it in fqa9.  You also should do 'check rtmp' on the cwfs
>console after recovery (see fs(8)).  So, in case you fill up your
>cache or have an unclean shutdown or such, typically you would:
>
>- boot and append the -c flag to bootargs to enter config mode (instead
>  of using the iso or entering the shell and starting cwfs manually)
>- enter 'recover main' and 'end'
>- run 'check rtmp' etc in the cwfs console once successfully booted.
>
>Again, this only covers the simplest case.  I'll think about a nice
>phrasing for the fqa unless there are any objections.
>
>Cheers,
>qwx

sounds good, thanks.

sl