From: qwx <qwx@sciops.net>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] trident cyber 9525 graphics glitches
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 02:08:22 +0200	[thread overview]

> oh my god, i can't believe i didn't think of simply trying a lower
> resolution. i'm an idiot sometimes. the graphics DO in fact work fine,
> and it accepts 24-bit color, using a 640x480 resolution! i would
> definitely be interested in trying to debug and fix the issue at the
> source if you/others on the list are interested in helping with that,
> but i know that's a tall task and probably not a priority for most
> people, so just downscaling looks like it will work as a quick
> superficial fix.

I doubt it occurred to me immediately either :)  Do compare drawing
performance between 16 and 24bit mode, one may be significantly faster
than the other for you.  Debugging over the ml is very slow, but I
would suggest comparing with linux or some other os to check if vesa
works there and if the drivers behave the same way, and if they don't,
1) tracing where vesa fails, and/or 2) tracing where the memory issue
comes from in the cyber938x.c drivers (/sys/src/9/pc/vgacyber938x.c
functions in cyber938xdev struct and
/sys/src/cmd/aux/vga/vgacyber938x.c) and reading the linux or w/e
driver...  Others may make smarter suggestions.

Please send a patch for whatever you modified (just /lib/vgadb?) :)

Cheers,

qwx