From: sml <sml@firstpost.pub>
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: [9front] obsolete cryptographic algorithms
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 09:13:06 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to understand the implementation of factotum and I noticed that /sys/src/libsec contains some obsolete cryptographic algorithms like sha-1, md4, md5, dsa and des.

In section 7.4.3.2 of the fqa the manual change from p9sk1 to dp9ik is described and since then, as far as I understand, it is also the new standard where des has been replaced by aes.

In the list I keep reading about different cleanups, which I greatly appreciate and I'm wondering whether the deprecated crypto algorithms and protocols can be cleaned out as well, or if there is a specific reason to hold on to them. I think if you use very weak crypto, you can do without it directly.

Many thanks in advance for your responses!

Best regards,
sml