* new wiki page: guide for system administrators
@ 2011-05-01 18:19 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-05-01 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

A new page has been added to the wiki that covers some of the
differences between administering Plan 9 and 9front:

http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/admin

We've added information for setting up an auth/cpu server, as well as
using fgb's contrib packages.

-sl

* Re: new wiki page: guide for system administrators
@ 2011-05-02  7:09 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2011-05-02  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

What is the purpose of the "Useful Packages" section?

Any reason those packages are not just added to the distribution? If
they are useful, they should be part of the distribution.

(I do find the usefulness of anything cvs-related somewhat
questionable, but I'm not strongly against including it.)

uriel

@ 2011-05-02 13:51   ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-05-02 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> What is the purpose of the "Useful Packages" section?

It answers questions that get asked on IRC on a daily basis.

> Any reason those packages are not just added to the distribution? If
> they are useful, they should be part of the distribution.

I believe this process has begun but is not yet completed.

> (I do find the usefulness of anything cvs-related somewhat
> questionable, but I'm not strongly against including it.)

We're not using cvs in 9front, but it's useful to have for dealing
with projects that do use cvs.

@ 2011-05-02 17:04     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2011-05-02 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Stanley Lieber <stanley.lieber@gmail.com> wrote:
> We're not using cvs in 9front, but it's useful to have for dealing
> with projects that do use cvs.

Yes, but are there any remotely relevant projects out there still
using cvs? Somehow I doubt it.

uriel

* Re: new wiki page: guide for system administrators
@ 2011-05-02 18:24       ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-05-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Uriel <uriel@berlinblue.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Stanley Lieber <stanley.lieber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're not using cvs in 9front, but it's useful to have for dealing
>> with projects that do use cvs.
>
> Yes, but are there any remotely relevant projects out there still
> using cvs? Somehow I doubt it.
>
> uriel

openbsd

* Re: new wiki page: guide for system administrators
@ 2011-05-02 18:27   ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-05-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Uriel <uriel@berlinblue.org> wrote:
> What is the purpose of the "Useful Packages" section?
>
> Any reason those packages are not just added to the distribution? If
> they are useful, they should be part of the distribution.
>
> (I do find the usefulness of anything cvs-related somewhat
> questionable, but I'm not strongly against including it.)
>
> uriel

i'm against stuffing the distribution with more and more software.

@ 2011-05-03 16:41       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-05-03 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Stanley Lieber <stanley.lieber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're not using cvs in 9front, but it's useful to have for dealing
>> with projects that do use cvs.
>
> Yes, but are there any remotely relevant projects out there still
> using cvs? Somehow I doubt it.

OpenBSD.

@ 2011-05-13 23:54     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-05-13 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

yeah, we should go arround and *REMOVE* stuff instead of
adding more and more bloated ape ports. i would have no
objection if the (cvs) program you add is small and compiles
in like a second. but these big ape programs that take
*MINUTES* to compile really suck.

@ 2011-05-13 23:59       ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-05-13 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM, cinap_lenrek <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
> yeah, we should go arround and *REMOVE* stuff instead of
> adding more and more bloated ape ports. i would have no
> objection if the (cvs) program you add is small and compiles
> in like a second. but these big ape programs that take
> *MINUTES* to compile really suck.

taruti's pkg(1) utility is a good replacement for contrib(1). It copies
files over http and keeps track of how to remove them, once installed.
Once she adds support for mirrors it will have more or less fulfilled our
wishlist of features.

I don't see any reason to keep putting more and more alien software
into the distribution. Python/hg is a necessary compromise, but most
of this other stuff is definitely not needed in the default install.

@ 2011-05-15 11:53         ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2011-05-15 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Stanley Lieber
<stanley.lieber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM, cinap_lenrek <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
>> yeah, we should go arround and *REMOVE* stuff instead of
>> adding more and more bloated ape ports. i would have no
>> objection if the (cvs) program you add is small and compiles
>> in like a second. but these big ape programs that take
>> *MINUTES* to compile really suck.
>
> taruti's pkg(1) utility is a good replacement for contrib(1). It copies
> files over http and keeps track of how to remove them, once installed.
> Once she adds support for mirrors it will have more or less fulfilled our
> wishlist of features.
>
> I don't see any reason to keep putting more and more alien software
> into the distribution.

Avoiding replica is nice, but I still would prefer no package
management at all, and just including all useful stuff directly in the
distribution.

uriel

* Re: new wiki page: guide for system administrators
@ 2011-05-15 18:32           ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-05-15 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Uriel <uriel@berlinblue.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Stanley Lieber
> <stanley.lieber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM, cinap_lenrek <cinap_lenrek@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> yeah, we should go arround and *REMOVE* stuff instead of
>>> adding more and more bloated ape ports. i would have no
>>> objection if the (cvs) program you add is small and compiles
>>> in like a second. but these big ape programs that take
>>> *MINUTES* to compile really suck.
>>
>> taruti's pkg(1) utility is a good replacement for contrib(1). It copies
>> files over http and keeps track of how to remove them, once installed.
>> Once she adds support for mirrors it will have more or less fulfilled our
>> wishlist of features.
>>
>> I don't see any reason to keep putting more and more alien software
>> into the distribution.
>
> Avoiding replica is nice, but I still would prefer no package
> management at all, and just including all useful stuff directly in the
> distribution.
>
> uriel

Before long, we'll need to switch from install CD to install DVD.

@ 2011-05-15 19:39             ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-05-15 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Before long, we'll need to switch from install CD to install DVD.
>
> -sl

Don't you mean BD?
I want all Stanley Kubrick movies on it.
In HD.

* Re: new wiki page: guide for system administrators
@ 2011-05-15 20:51             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-05-15 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Stanley Lieber
<stanley.lieber@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before long, we'll need to switch from install CD to install DVD.

that's ok in my view. It's getting hard to buy CDs anyway.

ron