* TODO
@ 2011-05-02  7:30 Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2011-05-02  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

More items from an ancient TODO, some probably obsolete, others
controversial, so I didn't add any of them to the issue tracker, but
anyone that thinks any of them is a good idea feel free to add them.

* g " ""
* dan cross' walk and sor
* /contrib/andrey/cmd/lsof.c
* newuser script
* inferno
  * make snarf work by default
* pegasus?
* mpeg player
* nupas
* graphviz
* synaptic (can't remember what this was about, maybe check 9fans archives?)
* freetype: http://mirtchovski.com/p9/freetype/
* http://ninetimes.cat-v.org/news/2008-11-20-1_Cpu_temperature_info
* drivers
  * broadcom
  * ac'97
  * radeon?
  * usb keyboard
* linuxemu
* equis
* python
* perl

* Re: TODO
@ 2011-05-02 13:25 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-05-02 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> * newuser script
> * nupas
> * graphviz
> * freetype: http://mirtchovski.com/p9/freetype/
ack

> * /contrib/andrey/cmd/lsof.c
grep file /proc/*/fd
probably a good idea nevertheless

> * inferno
include the whole inferno tree?
> * mpeg player
hahaha
have fun writing
> * http://ninetimes.cat-v.org/news/2008-11-20-1_Cpu_temperature_info
better to have it in userspace
there are over 9000 interfaces to CPU temp etc
> * drivers
>  * broadcom
we got that one now :)
(and erik is fixing and 64 bitting it)
>  * ac'97
i got one somewhere, i should commit it
>  * radeon?
>  * usb keyboard
don't we have these already?
> * linuxemu
include a whole Debian tree or what?
> * equis
horses are always good
> * synaptic (can't remember what this was about, maybe check 9fans archives?)
> * python
> * perl
jesus christ what the fuck?

* Re: TODO
@ 2011-05-02 13:45 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-05-02 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

All things 'synaptic' (double tap for clicking and whatnot) have workes on
my dell inspiron 1000 for ages.

* Re: TODO
@ 2011-05-02 17:03   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2011-05-02 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Julius Schmidt <aiju@phicode.de> wrote:
>> * newuser script
>> * nupas
>> * graphviz
>> * freetype: http://mirtchovski.com/p9/freetype/
>
> ack
>
>> * /contrib/andrey/cmd/lsof.c
>
> grep file /proc/*/fd
> probably a good idea nevertheless
>
>> * inferno
>
> include the whole inferno tree?

Yea, why not? Or at least the Plan 9 hosted bits.

>> * mpeg player
>
> hahaha
> have fun writing

I think I was thinking of the player fgb ported, it is in contrib.

>> * http://ninetimes.cat-v.org/news/2008-11-20-1_Cpu_temperature_info
>
> better to have it in userspace
> there are over 9000 interfaces to CPU temp etc
>>
>> * drivers
>>  * broadcom
>
> we got that one now :)
> (and erik is fixing and 64 bitting it)

There are multiple broadcom chips, I know some people were passing a
driver around years ago, but as usual was never publicly released as
far as I know.

>>  * ac'97
>
> i got one somewhere, i should commit it

There are at least two, sometimes one works, sometimes the other works...

>>  * radeon?
>>  * usb keyboard
>
> don't we have these already?

No idea, I stopped paying attention a while ago, have there been any
news on either front? (I think nemo had a usb kb driver, did that get
merged?)

>> * linuxemu
>
> include a whole Debian tree or what?
>>
>> * equis
>
> horses are always good
>>
>> * synaptic (can't remember what this was about, maybe check 9fans
>> archives?)
>> * python
>> * perl
>
> jesus christ what the fuck?

* Re: TODO
@ 2011-05-02 18:24     ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2011-05-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/TODO

* Re: TODO
@ 2011-05-02 19:33       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-05-02 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

As long as it is a fork, which it is, why not remove contrib as a
separate entity? Pu all in /usr/src?

ron

* Re: TODO (video)
@ 2011-05-02 20:16   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-05-02 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On 2 May 2011, at 2:25 pm, Julius Schmidt wrote:

>> * mpeg player
> hahaha
> have fun writing

I was thinking it might be worth writing a player for the sanest
video format you can, making naive assumptions on aspect ratio and
other fiddley details, and port transcode to do all the heavy lifting
for it. (Transcode being a converter program which builds with mplayer.)

I'm guessing mplayer/transcode won't be terribly hard to port. The
port may have to do without the assembly-language optimizations but I
built mplayer on & for arm-linux before it had asm-opts for arm and
it built & ran fine.

>> * synaptic (can't remember what this was about, maybe check 9fans
>> archives?)
>> * python
>> * perl
> jesus christ what the fuck?

hahaha! Funny thing is we have python included as of last night or
so, but it's only there for hg.

* Re: TODO (video)
@ 2011-05-03  9:25     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2011-05-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 2 May 2011, at 2:25 pm, Julius Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> * mpeg player
>>
>> hahaha
>> have fun writing
>
> I was thinking it might be worth writing a player for the sanest video
> format you can, making naive assumptions on aspect ratio and other fiddley
> details, and port transcode to do all the heavy lifting for it. (Transcode
> being a converter program which builds with mplayer.)
>
> I'm guessing mplayer/transcode won't be terribly hard to port. The port may
> have to do without the assembly-language optimizations but I built mplayer
> on & for arm-linux before it had asm-opts for arm and it built & ran fine.

This is a pretty good idea, there is already an effort at Google to
implement vp8 in Go: http://code.google.com/p/vp8-go/

We could use that once we add Go to the distribution.

uriel